PDA

View Full Version : Better Late Than Never

yellowfin1
03-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Well here it is almost April and I have missed a couple yellowtail bites! Finally got Tenacious into the Blackmans to check out a couple items. First was the RPM indicator was indicating ~200 RPMs lower than normal (I think). Have always been running ~15 knots at 3000 RPM. Now I seem to be getting up to 15 knots at 2800 Rpm. Used to cruise at 19-20 knots at 3400 RPM, and now when my indicator is reading 3400 RPM I'm at 22 knots.
I was also concerned about my outdrive being a little loose (too much play). I compared it with a very nice Billfisher which is currently at the Blackman's shop (didn't get the name) and it had the same amount of play. John and Steve said that is normal.

Hope to have her back and on the water so I can play hookey after this storm passes and hopefully catch a few fish. Will add a new radar also. Nothing Fancy, just a B/W Foruno.

See you all on the water.
Scott

DOGHOUSE26
03-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Your RADAR is high on the arch, mine's mounted on the bulkhead above the windshield, substantially lower than yours. If I were to get another RADAR I'd go color just to see if a small boat would show up as a different color than the wavetops; when it gets nasty my RADAR shows alot of marks when the swell is up which is actually the tops of waves, the only way I know it's a vessel is if it stays on the screen for 2-3 RADAR sweeps. If the boat reflection was harder and showed as a different color, it would surely help alot.

yellowfin1
03-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Jeff,

My old radar antenna was mounted on the front of the flybridge which gave me a relatively short line of site to the horizon equating to a short target detection range (about 3.5 miles at best). I'm not sure if I will mount the new one in the same location or move it to the top of the arch. Seems like a no-brainer but, since my boat is trailored and my radar arch does not fold down, it might hit tree branches or even overpasses (not good).

As for the sea return, I have alot of experience with radar (20 years as a radar operator in the USN). I have not seen any that really break out a target from sea return very well when it's rough. There are sea return filters on many radar units but, essentially all they really do is filter out all but the strongest returns within a short distance (0-~3NM).

Maybe some of the newer commercial radars present radar targets in various colors based on their Radar Cross Section or return strength but, I have not seen any that do this yet.

Anybody else?

DOGHOUSE26
03-30-2010, 05:08 PM
My arch doesn't fold down either.

yellowfin1
04-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Things seem slow on the site so, I'll post an update on Tenacious. Just got her back from Blackman's and took her out for a spin on the bay. She runs great. I can just barely hear the turbo spinning up. Maybe it was my hearing going bad before. RPM's seem normal. Bck to seeing about 16 knots at 3000 RPM, 20 Knots at 3400 (cruise), and 24.5 knots WOT (3900 RPM).

Almost ready for SCI and Ensenada/San Quintin/Colnett runs.

Still need a couple new batteries and a radar.
See you all on the water soon.

Pez Espada
04-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Scott,

Was wondering what wheels your running. I run A4's and am only reaching 3700 at WOT. Not sure if I really want to mess with it as I pretty much baby here. But was curious.

Thanks, Zack 26' billfisher Pez Espada

DOGHOUSE26
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
What did Blackman do to your boat?

yellowfin1
04-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Zack,
I'm also running A-4s. What is your speed at 3700RPM? Could be that you or me (or both) are just a little bit out of calibration? Steve Blackman said I should get 3900-4000 RPMs. John says that at idle I should be seeing between 600 and 800RPMs. I show 700RPM at idle. How about you?

Jeff,
When it was all said and done, all they did was replace the engine fuel filter, air filter and tighten the belts. John said the reason for the low RPM indication was loose belts. I find it hard to believe because I know that I tighten those puppies (and check em before every outing). Apparently he got them tighter or did something else. Possible the engine fuel filter could have been really gunked up and somehow affected the RPMs?

Pez Espada
04-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Scott,

Thanks for the comeback. Not sure what rpm at idle. At 3000 rpm I am running right around 17 to 18 knots and at 3700 around 22 to 23. Just did a shake down on her last week after some winter projects so I was focusing on dialing the new autopilot in and making sure all the systems were working properly. Next time out I will get some accurate numbers and report back.

Cheers, Zack