PDA

View Full Version : Mounting of radar antennas

yellowfin1
05-12-2010, 07:40 AM
I was checking out Time Out's radar antenna and arch (thanks again Russ)and while on J dock I noticed that several of the Billfishers have their antennal mounted on the arch but it looks like the antenna is even or just below the bimini. For those of you with their radar mounted like this, do you experience any interference or degraded radar perfromance from the trons hitting the bimini stainless bars? Russ, I only took a couple items from Time Out. Can't wait to try out some of my new fishing gear.

Thanks,
Scott

Wa Mei
05-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Hey Scott,

As with most 26' Skipjack, my radome sits on top of the SS radar arch just
above the bimini. I don't remember having issues with interference. I have
an older Furuno 1731 Mark II radar...

Time Out
05-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Scott

For me the unit works great, we have picked up birds on the radar, weather fronts moving in, and of course several Ass H. in Parkers running up behind me at 30 knots in the middle of the night.

I have two VHF ant. mounted on the arch and have no problem using them with the radar on.

To lower mine you remove the top bolt lower it down and replace the bolt it holds it in place fine.

And your welcome for the fishing gear.

If you come by at the end of this month you will find me in a new slip. Phil Silva sold the Firexcape and I will be moving into his slip. Now I can crash into the back of the Knot Now. Sorry Phil

Russ

Malu Lani
05-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I think Jeff and Phil are glad to see you move closer so they can use your hose and boat soap.

DOGHOUSE26
05-13-2010, 08:04 AM
Don't let Russ fool you, they wanted to be closer to the Coors Light Distributor; they kept tripping over the dock cleats every time they went back for refills!

Time Out
05-13-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm going to tell John you said that Jeff.

Rob the mac's I steal from Jeff's tanks were getting sea sick with that long walk down the dock. Now I can build a tube from his tanks to my side of the dock, wont even have to leave the boat to get bait.

Russ

yellowfin1
05-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Alan and Russ,

Thanks for the feedback. Hope to have the radar arch finished this weekend and the radar operating smoothly too.

yellowfin1
05-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Glad Russ recommended that I just convert my existing arch to fold down. This will save me lots of $$ in the long run as I will be able to pull into the gas stations near my house instead of running all the way to SOCAL truck stop or paying the big $$ on the water. It will also allow me to get the antenna up on the arch to see 360 degrees (maybe avoid getting run over by cargo ships in the fog) and give me better range. The job is almost complete. It was rather difficult cutting the stainless 16 guage sheets but, they are done. Now I just need to drill the holes in the boat and install the arch with 5/8' bolts. Oh ya, then I have to obtain the 16" radar mount on the arch so that the antenna will see over by bimini and get away from my noggin! Will also need to cut the antenna wires to run them through the arch then re-splice them. It's all just time and/or money, right?

DOGHOUSE26
05-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Let me just remind you Marc had a full head of hair and Russ was the lead scientist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory at Pasadena responsible for the first lunar landing BEFORE they installed their unit on the arch. It didn't happen overnight but you can see the results.:D

Time Out
05-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Jeff

Do I need to comment on the parts of your body that have shriveled up and fallen off because of the location of your Radar. I may be brain dead (can"t argue with that) but I still have my completly useless balls.

Russ

DOGHOUSE26
05-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Jeff

Do I need to comment on the parts of your body that have shriveled up and fallen off because of the location of your Radar. I may be brain dead (can"t argue with that) but I still have my completly useless balls.

Russ

Kids that's another reason you should always read the manual before turning the unit on; it was years before I discovered I could block out transmission from the rear of the radome and then my crew wouldn't have given me the "Captain Itchy Balls" nickname. The positive side is now we don't have to waste precious seconds during intimate times by having to turn on the light and try to find something to slip a condom on!

yellowfin1
05-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Lessons learned from doing this job. If you are going to fabricate stainless side plated to go between the arch/starboard and the flybridge, use 1/2" bolts. I drilled 5/8" holes in the flybridge and purchased the bolts before I attempted to drill 5/8" holes in the stainless sideplates and radar arch. I could not find anywhere that sold anything bigger than 1/2" cobalt drill bits. Ended up drilling 1/2" and then using a grinder bit to make the holes big enough to accept the 5/8" bolt. Took forever. Of course I don't have a metal shop either. Not sure you gain anything by going to 5/8" vice 1/2" bolts.

Blackbird
05-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Hey Scott,

Wish I would had seen this sooner. I use the Irwin Cobalt Unibits to drill out stainless at work all the time. The bits dont like it too much, but I've used them on material up to 1/4" thick. Any hardware store should have them. Check em out here:

http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bits/unibit-cobalt-step-drill

They wont chatter or hang up and twist the drill right out of your hands like a twist drill can do. Use lots of lube and watch the heat of the bit and your piece. Stainless will work harden at a certain temp so keeping it and the bit cool are key. They wont last forever, but work well and stay centered. They work really good on fiberglass too, clean holes, no splinters.

See ya, J

yellowfin1
05-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the tip J,

I knew that someone on this site would have some experience with these bits. The job is done and I am happy with it. I'll post some pics this week. Good info for future reference.

Scott

Time Out
05-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Scott the only problem we had was getting all the wires into the smaller size tubing. Did you run all your wires down one side like we did?

Russ

yellowfin1
05-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Russ,

I have not run the cables yet. I am worried that I will have the same problem. The only wires that I need to run are the radar cable (about 1/2" diameter), the anchor light, the deck light, and the GPS antenna. It's going to be tight! I will mount my VHF antenna onto the Flybridge now since, I don't want the extra weight and tall antenna putting extra stress on my radar arch. I can't imagine how you guys could get all that cable into that small pipe? Vaseline? OK, I know I just opened a can of worms!

Time Out
05-26-2010, 05:55 PM
yes Jeff will have fun with that statement

We decided to install the cables when we had the arch on the ground. I poured Electrical lube into the arch and pulled all the wires at one time just stagger them.

We pulled 2 VHF cables 1 Radar,two light power cords it went through easy the Radar connector was the problem you have to cut the hole large enough to turn it as it comes out. (Easy Jeff Down Boy).

Did you replace the wood infill on the arch with plastic ?

Russ

yellowfin1
05-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Yes Russ,

I did replace the wood infill with starboard. The only thing which I have not yet done is to inject some penetrating resin into the holes which I drilled in the flybridge. I figure that this will be a good thing to do, especially in the holes which aren't used much and don't always have a bolt in them (like the holes for the trailering position). Maybe this will help with keeping pesky wood-boring bugs out and moisture too.

Time Out
05-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Have you cut the hole for the wires yet Make it as large as possable

I found it easer to pull if the arch was on the ground and use losts of lube

(Not a word Jeff)

Russ

yellowfin1
05-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Russ,
I have not run the cables yet. I still need to cut the hole in the arch a bit bigger. I am awaiting Jerry's weld shop" to finish welding my radar mount. The wife has been nice to me this week so, I haven't spent much time working on the boat. I plan to finish the entire job this weekend assuming I get the radar mount today. The radar mount costs me $21. for materials and is suppose to cost no more than $75 to weld. I'm happy as I was considering buying a Seaview mount for $370.