PDA

View Full Version : Teak Finish?

Blackbird
06-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Hey fellas,

Just wondering what you guys prefer for your brightwork, both inside and out on your boats? I am in the process of working over some of the wood and would like to come up with a good system that isn't too much trouble. I dont mind oiling it every so often and its not that big an issue because its right outside my front door on the trailer. I keep it covered so the oil would hold up a while. I did a small spot with Starbrite Oil and it looks good. I have heard good things about the Cetol Marine product too. Any opinions on how it holds up or how easy it is to maintain. Any other tips/suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Jay

Sleigher1
06-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Back when I had my boat I bought the expensive teak oil from WM.
Then I found teak oil at Home Depot for a lot less money.
I used that the last time I oiled all of the teak. I didn't notice a difference between the two other than the price.

Good luck.

P

Knot Now
06-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Hey fellas,

Just wondering what you guys prefer for your brightwork, both inside and out on your boats?

Jay

Oil on the inside, replace with starboard or ? on the outside...LOL

Phil

IRish Wake
06-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Jay,you & I have something in common we're both working on our teak.I use varish.God help me.Interior I use Goldspar Satin 60 and exterior I use Schooner High Gloss 96 both Interlux.Blackman rec:Goldspar for the interior.I'm pleased with Goldspar for looks and durability but have not had adequate perfomance Schooner exterior.My last application showed failure at 6mo.I am however giving it one more try.The one thing I know for certain is varnish requires protection from the sun. kev

sharkwaters
06-28-2010, 12:28 PM
I have used Cetol for 8 years now. I like it. I touch it up every two. It does make the teak a yellow color that some pepole do not like. It goes on easy and stays looking good.

Bob