PDA

View Full Version : My worst Day Boating(scary)

Honeygirl
06-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Fished the island Thursday and Friday. Fishing was very poor and the weather was very bad. The worst of the day came while putting the boat into the slip. I have a KAD 300 with and electronic throttle control. I put the boat in the slip the exact same way every time (turn to starboard, take the boat out of gear, neutral for a second then reverse for a second, forward gear and into the slip) This time when I was putting the boat into neutral the boat stayed in forward gear. My first reaction was to throw the throttle into reverse. This caused the boat only to go full throttle forward and Crashed into the gangway and boat slipped next to mine when it rode up on the dock. This all happened in a matter of seconds and I have been Monday morning quarter backing what I could of done different the hole day. After hours of looking and reading the manual I found a blown fuse next to the started that controls the shifter. I replaced the fuse and everything works fine. It was a very scary situation and I am thankful no one was hurt. Joe

NoSlack
06-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Glad you guys are all OK. I think that same thing happened to one of the J dock guys a year or two ago.

Maybe it's time for Volvo to come up with a warning alarm when that system isn't 100%. Should be easy enough to do.

Mike

Honeygirl
06-12-2010, 04:15 PM
I agree. The only warning I could see after the fact was a little( the size of the tip of pen) yellow light way down on the start button. A buzzer would be nice. Joe

Blackbird
06-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Sorry to hear Joe. Glad you guys are o.k.

I think most of us would have reacted the same, to throw it in reverse quick. Dosnt sound like there was much else you could have done with little time.

Anyway you could replace that fuse with an Auto Reset Circuit Breaker of the same amperage? If there was a problem, it would let you return to neutral and possibly get to reverse when the breaker reset. Just a thought.

Hope you're back on the water quick.

J

DOGHOUSE26
06-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I hate fly by wire and it's going to happen to me too, it's just a matter of time. At least no one was hurt, Joe you did the same thing any of us would have done in the same situation, it just happens too fast!

Libre
06-13-2010, 09:35 PM
What a nightmare! I would have freaked out.

yellowfin1
06-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Joe,

Glad no one got hurt. How'd you fare for damage?

Wa Mei
06-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Good to hear no one got hurt Joe. Good to see the Honeygirl back doing what it does best...