PDA

View Full Version : AQD40A Relays

Moo Fish
06-22-2004, 09:59 AM
So, under the plastic box is one relay for the glow plugs, a fuse (breaker) for the glow plugs, and another relay. What is it?? Doing a little work on the Nighmare from Ohm Street, aka boat wiring.

And, has anyone replaced the lift pump?? Does the pump get "weak" (diaphram) or just quits working?? Having to crank the engine too much before it fires.

rt

NoSlack
06-22-2004, 11:29 AM
The second relay is for the starter. It picks up the solenoid on the starter. Why they need a relay for that I don't know.

You may have some bad glow plugs or power is not getting to them. The wire for the glow plug light on the dash comes off the very end of the buss bar across the glow plugs. If the light comes on, power is getting to the plugs. To check the plugs, remove the buss bar and check with an ohm meter from the stud to the block. Should be less than 2 ohms each if I remember right.

If the starting problem is air in the fuel, she will sputter on start up them smooth out as the air works its way out of the system.

If the starter is weak like mine was, you won't crank fast enough to build up enough heat during compression to light the fuel.

Mike

Moo Fish
06-23-2004, 08:35 AM
No glow plug light--jumped the relay--glow plug light--replace relay

.......dash voltmeter and Gramin vdc screen shows 13.6v with engine running. Alternator ouput through a Marinetach 120 filter. I will check charging voltage at the batteries but would like to see about 14.3. Any ideas on the low voltage??

rt

NoSlack
06-23-2004, 10:30 AM
My new alternator has an adjustment pot on the back for raising the voltage. Out of the box it was set for 14.3 volts so I haven't had to mess with it.

Installing the new starter a few months ago took care of my excessive cranking to start problem. Now she starts like my other 3 diesels.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
06-23-2004, 12:00 PM
RT,

What exactly does your marine tech filter out? Was it affecting your transducer/sounder? I pick up noticable static on my Furuno 582 FF when I start to move on and I'm not sure if that is electrical or water related. What do you other guys use and how well does it work?

Thanks,

NoSlack
06-23-2004, 01:02 PM
I've never had noise problem with my FF or radio. Not even when the old alternator had shorted diodes.

I have a pair of cheap radio shack noise filters after the radio and FF breakers. Maybe that's all it will take to clean up the FF. The xducer for my 582L is mounted center line with no fairing block and read great up to 20 knots.

http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/270/270-051.jpg

Mike

Moo Fish
06-24-2004, 09:43 AM
This MarineTech filter is old technology (reference Loran C in the literature). In line from the alternator. I was concerned there was a voltage drop across the filter but nope. No static in the radios or FF.

rt