PDA

View Full Version : Trolling

Import Manager
04-27-2004, 08:59 PM
#0, Trolling
Posted by Malu Lani on Feb-07-04 at 09:31 PM

How do you guy`s set up your boats for trolling. I was going to troll four rods, two from outriggers long and two from flatlines short. I still have not figured out where to fasten my flatline clips. Do any of you have better ideas or suggestions.

Thanks Rob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Trolling
Posted by GoFishGo on Feb-07-04 at 10:04 PM
In response to message #0

Welcome Rob,
You could use a heavier style rubberband. After you have run the lines out you wrap the rubberband around your line and put the loops from the rubberband around the handle of the reel.
When you get a strike, the rubberband pops/snaps and it doesn't harm the reel or the line.
Maybe someone could post a picture of how this is done.
Screamin' Reels
Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Trolling
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Feb-07-04 at 10:23 PM
In response to message #1

I mounted 2 stainless steel loops on the teak backing for the rub rail off the stern of the boat under each rod holder to hold an Aftco roller rigger clip; since your's is so new you might have to lengthen the rigger clip's tie down lines and clip them to your tow hook eyes on the stern. The drawback is it's a long reach to pick them up and snap them back on.
I also have a rod holder in the arch with a leash right above the middle of the bridge to run a whiskey line occasionally if the fish are spooky. The only trouble is it's the last place you look when a clicker is screaming and occasionally you will find yourself trolling all the way to the slip, it's easy to forget the line is out!

#3, RE: Trolling
Posted by Wizard on Feb-07-04 at 10:26 PM
In response to message #1

I troll 5, 2 on outriggers, 2 on flatline clips hooked to the transom, and one center shortest. Often the center is a daisy chain or small spreader. The flatline clips I use are these:
http://www.cabelas.com/information/FishingSaltwater/AFTCORoilerTrollerOutriggerFlatlineLureCli0002244/AftcoRollerTrollerOutriggerFlatlineLureClips000224 4012019a.html

The easiest way to hang the flatline clips is off of small Eye Straps which you can easily install on the rub rail on each corner of the transom. Just make sure the flatline clips stay well oiled and adjusted loose to release, or I'm guessing a toad fish can pull the eye straps clean off. Here is a picture of the eye strap I am talking about:

http://www.nhsmarine.com/Hardware/66-70.htm

Glenn
"The Reel One"
26' Billfisher

#4, RE: Trolling
Posted by NoSlack on Feb-08-04 at 07:36 PM

Under my rope hawse I have a snap swivel on one of the bolts. I have 18" of 1/8 cord on my clips with a loop in one end. Snap the loop on the swivel and push the cord up through the rope hawse and hang it over the transom.
Mike
http://members.cox.net/noslack/clip.jpg

#5, RE: Trolling
Posted by Old_Blue on Feb-09-04 at 02:12 PM

I haven't mounted any clips to my boat yet either, but what I have been doing in the mean time is to clip them to one of the screws on the clamp that holds the reel to the rod. On my old boat I had them mounted to the transom and they wore marks in the transom as they swung back and forth when I wasn't using them.

#6, RE: Trolling
Posted by Hijole on Feb-09-04 at 09:35 PM
In response to message #5

If your boat is a 26' you can just attach a rope/belt with two (2)snaps on the hand rail at each corner. I made my own with twisted nylon. Just like the big sportboats. Your two rod tips will swing down low to the water and free of any tangles especially from the outside lines.When you get a hook up just remove the clips to the reel. If you go fishing alone you don't have to worry about brining in the lines fast. The rods will not sit high on the back and tangle with the outside lines.

#7, RE: Trolling
Posted by moo fish on Feb-10-04 at 05:56 AM
In response to message #6

Bam, Bam, Bam--three trollers going of at graylight. Semicomatose crew gets hit with the albacore adrenaline, clear the lines, chum, baits in the water, "who' got the gaff!!" Hijole!! What about boat lines??----parachute cord, rubber bungees, 2 feet of 1/4" chain, 300 pound mono, and a tuna clone hung off the stern, real close.....rt