PDA

View Full Version : Aros trailer question

JBROOKS242
04-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Hello all...new guy here. I've been reading the board for quite awhile and gathering info, many very knowledgeable guys on here.

I leave early next week to go pick up a 1983 Albacore Special from New Mexico.

They're saying that they think the master cylinder on the trailer may be bad, "when we start moving after stopping it feels like the master cylinder piston is releasing abruptly". I'm guessing it may be the master cylinder, the shock/absorber actuator, or the brakes grabbing.

I know the trailer is the original Aros trailer that appears to be in pretty good shape. I just had them put new tires on the trailer, but I would like to take some parts with me in case there are some other issues.

Does anybody know the following info:

1) Wheel bearing and seal size
2) Master cylinder and actuator shock/absorber size

I want to be prepared to repack the wheel bearings, etc. if needed.

Thanks for any input, it's truly appreciated.

Jeff

NoSlack
04-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Call AROS with as much info as you know about the trailer and they should give you all the help you need.

Master cyl sounds like bad shocks or no fluid.

Mike

JBROOKS242
04-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks Mike. I called them the other day and didn't get far. I think I'll try to pose my questions in a different way and contact them again. According to them, they didn't have any way to cross reference old trailers.

NoSlack
04-23-2011, 05:27 PM
It could be any one of a dozen differnt bearings depending on who's hubs there were using back then.

Jack them up and give each wheel a spin before you hit the road. If it sounds bad, take the time to fix it before you get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Mike

JBROOKS242
05-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Hey Mike,

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. It was a pretty vicious turn-around trip to Las Cruces, NM and back. Although the trailer had some issues, everything was greased up and ready to go....well, minus any brakes. :confused: After spending the morning going to every local RV/Trailer place, we decided we could get back home OK. Pretty exciting road trip with 30+ mile an hour winds and sand storms from Las Cruces to Tucson. Needless to say, after 15hrs of driving I made it home and put her in the driveway.

Today I was looking at the Boats of BOCA page and actually saw the boat. I know the previous owner launched out of the San Diego area frequently. The boat is in photo number 3 of 57. It is a yellow 23' Albacore Special, the name was Amancer. Not sure if you or anyone else may know anything about it.

Take Care,

Jeff