PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank issues

noquestion25
06-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Have any of you replaced the 100 gallon main fuel tank on any of the older 23 bill fishers or outer banks. I know they are set in foam (concrete) and are a bear to remove. I'm looking for dimensions of the tank if any one has them lying around or a reputable tank builder. I have sprung a leak and need to get this thing done. Fish are biting!!!!! Also any ideas in doing the reinstall minus the foam.
Thanks in advance
Josh

DOGHOUSE26
06-07-2011, 08:41 PM
American Tank in La Mesa off Commercial St was the original Builder; I changed mine out 3 years ago a 150 gallon tank cost $950 back then

Blackbird
06-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Josh,

Just saw your post. Did you get your tank replaced?

My tank was replaced before I picked up the boat. They did a clean job. No foam. I will be in there this weekend taking pictures. I can post a few if it will help.

J

noquestion25
06-23-2011, 09:38 PM
I did replace it, removed all the foam and blocked it in place. Pictures are always nice!!

Josh

DOGHOUSE26
06-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Don't tell me you didn't replace the foam? With a fuel tank of fuel on a very rough day and a little too much speed and you could be looking for trouble if the tank breaks loose, cracks a weld, and then dumps fuel into your bilge. By the time you notice it, it will be too late. That's about 900 pounds of force bouncing around the inside of your hull.

noquestion25
06-24-2011, 03:28 PM
It was done the correct way. There is blocking underneath the tank as well as bolted to the stringers. There are alot of boats that do not have tanks set in foam. I did take a tank breaking free from blocking into consideration and it was designed so that would not happen!!!!!! Also had baffels put into the tank to reduce sloshing, something Blackman did not do.

sharkwaters
06-26-2011, 09:29 AM
The fuel tank in my 26 is not foamed in either. It is blocked in. I think foam will hold moisture.