PDA

View Full Version : Colorsanding and Teak Refinish

Hamachi Girl
07-18-2011, 10:59 PM
The Mrs. is always saying we don't spend enough time doing stuff outdoors together... so I handed her a sanding block and sent her to work. We got the teak rail all done with 3 passes of Captians varnish. We removed the old boot stripes and adhesive. Then she blocked the hull with 1000 and 2000 grit while I went to town with the buffer and compound. Two days worth of bonding and she's looking like the day she lest Don Blackman's Boat Service on Kettner Blvd. 30 years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/bocce_me/Blackman%20Albacore%20Special/IMG_3115.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/bocce_me/Blackman%20Albacore%20Special/IMG_3109.jpg

Still up in the air on the bottom paint

yellowfin1
07-19-2011, 09:42 AM
She looks great! Been meaning to get to the teak on Tenacious. I don't think my wife is the outdoor type so, I'm gonna need a 6 pack and a radio to get the teak stripped. Maybe a 6 pack to get 4 plus coats of varnish on too.

Knot Now
07-19-2011, 07:39 PM
If you put bottom paint on, you will notice a drop in speed and mileage.

Phil

Hamachi Girl
07-20-2011, 10:32 AM
She looks great! Been meaning to get to the teak on Tenacious. I don't think my wife is the outdoor type so, I'm gonna need a 6 pack and a radio to get the teak stripped. Maybe a 6 pack to get 4 plus coats of varnish on too.

Doing all the stripping and sanding correctly is a pain in the ass, but in the end it's more than worth it. It's what separates our boats from the Clorox bottles.

If you put bottom paint on, you will notice a drop in speed and mileage.

Phil

Correct, and that's why I've been trying to hold off on doing it or buying an additional boat (that I don't give a crap about). I'm getting 2nm/pg now and I'd like to try to improve that... not go the other way.

Al Gagnon
07-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Allen , the boat looks nice. Give me some tips on type of buffer. I have been wanting to do my outerbanks. It was used as a rock cod boat and was never kept up for winning a beauty contest. A guy gave me a quote to buff it and it would be about $800. He had a two speed 1/2 hp buffer, forgot the rpms and diamter wheel. Keep in touch next time you take the boat out. Al

Hamachi Girl
07-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Al,

It's a nice Makita variable speed with a lamb wheel. But the wheel and compound arent the most important thing, it's the wetsanding to take all the oxidation and small scratches out. It makes a huge difference vs. just going at it with a buffer. Jay (Blackbird on the board) has the process outline pretty good but I'm more than willing to help you get Kickin' Back all pimped out... or at least supervise.

I'm going out Friday... reports are that people are actually CATCHING bluefin vs. just watching them!!!

Al Gagnon
07-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Allen , thanks for the reply and offer. If you are home next time I visit your Mom and Chief, maybe you can come over and show me the routine? Good luck fishing forthe tuna. I have not heard any good reports yet. I need to get busy and R&R the fuel filters and connect the new air filters b4 the boat shrinks up to the old 26 ft size.:o :rolleyes: