PDA

View Full Version : East Butterfly on 7/5

Nomad
07-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Russ (Time Out), his son Chris and I left Mission Bay about 3:00 am. Had decided to head to the E. Butterfly since the 390 shut off on Sunday. There was a bit of a swell but nothing to serious. At the gray we found a paddy loaded with school size (8-10 lbs) yellows. Took 4 for the grill and left the rest to bite another day. Got to the spot and found the albies were on a serious diet. Found lots of bait but no takers. Worked the area over pretty good and got our first hook up around 10:00. Few minutes later we got a double, one came unbuttoned and the other was a bonita. Worked an area roughly 4 miles E/W and 7 miles N/S. The To The Limit was working roughly the same area when they headed out to explore some new areas. By now the swell was up and was topped with a delightful wind chop, conditions turned lousy. About noon, the bite starts to go off and we take two more troll fish. To The Limit located a small spot of fish and called us in on the bite. We finish up with 3 more troll fish for a total of 6 albies and 4 yellowtail for the day. Pulled the lines in at 1:30 and headed for the barn. Not a bad day given the seas and the late bite. Thanks again to Jeff and Dan for calling us in on the spot.

yellowfin1
07-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Nice job Charlie,

You didn't need to get more albies than that anyway, what with the high mercury content and all. Were the albies good size? I heard some of the albies being caught out there were the smaller models?

Nomad
07-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Fish were 15-20 lb grade, nothing huge. It was a late bite and I guess boats did better after 3-4:00.

DOGHOUSE26
07-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Most offshore fish bite early and better in the late afternoon during the full moon period :confused: