PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fuel Shutoff Relay

Dos Pelones
07-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Hi,

I have the TAMD41P motor and I'm stumped. The shutoff switch at the injection pump is drawing 1.5 amps, key off, if I don't turn the starting battery banks off. Yes, I have 2 starting banksof 2 batteries each.
I disconnect the relay in the black box and still the draw. Disconnect the circuit breaker in the black box and no more draw which indicates to me the problem is upstream. Is there another time delayed relay somewhere for the electric fuel shutoff in the harness/panel wiring at the dash?
Thought I had it dialed till I left a starting bank on with no charging source for a few days and ran that starting bank down to 7 volts! OUCH!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jorge

NoSlack
07-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Are you in San Diego?

If you have the owners manual for the 41 with a wiring diagram, I'll work with ya on locating the problem.

Can one of you 41 owners describe the key positions from off, to glow plugs, to start and then how you shut it down. I ask because on the old 40 like I have, I turn the key off then push in a button to energize the stop solenoid.

My guess on the newer engines would be Off is straight up with the key and to energize the stop solenoid you might turn it hard to the left then return it to the straight up position after it stops.

Mike 619 465-1617

hijole
07-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Mike, I have the manual for the 41A. If I can get a fax number I can send it on Monday, 7-12-04.

NoSlack
07-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Send it to my work. 619 233-0855. Put my name on it in bold letters or it may end up in someone else's pile.

EDIT: Thanks Pepe.

Jorge the fuel dump solenoid on the injector pump is powered up from the ignition switch. Look for a purple wire on terminal "R". That wire will be on pin #2 in the plug that connects to the cable that runs to the engine.

Sounds like the problem will be with the key switch. Can one of you 41 owners jump in here and tell me if there is a special position for the key or do you push it in to shut the engine off.

Mike

Dos Pelones
07-15-2004, 08:14 AM
Thanks Mike,

The key in left of center position powers the fuel shutoff. My ignition switch was faulty. Sometimes with the key straight up it was still energizing the fuel shutoff and sometimes to the left of center it wouldn't shutoff without wigglin it. New ignition switch solved problem.

Also, no glow plugs on this motor. Once again, thank you for your help!

Jorge