PDA

View Full Version : Course setter tune up

sharkwaters
07-12-2004, 07:40 AM
Hi guys, I have a 1987 course setter auto pilot and it is not controlling very well. I thought Hijole had put a detailed description on giving the unit a tuneup. I checked all the old post and did a archive search, but could not find it.
Can anyone help me out?
Thanks Bob W

To The Limit
07-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Bob: I have the same auto pilot. I used to have that problem too. It works perfect now. Give me a call and I will tell you what I know. It is easier for me to talk than type. My cell number is (858) 945-6594 or at home (858) 459-8066. Dan

DOGHOUSE26
07-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Bob, don't be misled! I went fishing with Dan last week and the way he solved his problem was to drink more beer and get sloshed; he couldn't walk a straight line much less drive one ! It's easier for him to not know where he's going than to fix the AP, the perfect solution! Thank God he had 53 miles to sober up before he had to negociate the slip docking; I will admit he was able to find tuna however! :D

NoSlack
07-12-2004, 01:49 PM
If the AP is acting a little lazy, it's most likly dirty contacts and should be easily corrected if you clean the contacts in the control unit.

Pop the front cover open by pushing in one of the spring pins on either side of the control unit(use a small nail to push the pin). Once you get the cover open take some contact cleaner and give the post and 3 contact fingers a good cleaning.

If all else fails, pull it out and send it back to Benmar (LA area) for a tune up.

Mike

http://bocaboard.com/data/noslack/PilotHouseControl1.JPG

http://bocaboard.com/data/noslack/AutoPilot.JPG

To The Limit
07-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Bob: What Mike just explained was what I was going to tell you to do. He has all the modern technology to post the pictures and the elegant words to describe how to fix it. Good luck and by the way it only took me 45 miles to sober up which gave me time to clean all the fish Jeff caught before we got back to the dock.

sharkwaters
07-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Hi Guys, Sorry it took a while to respond. I just got back from Catalina.
I will try to clean the contacts. Dan- I will try you at home tonight (Friday).
Thanks Bob

Nomad
07-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Jeff -

You know Dans motto:

if you don't know where your going....any road will get you there!

sharkwaters
07-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Hi guys, I opened up the binnacle and the contacts looked clean. However, I found that the cable had a slightly frayed end and was not inserted completely. I repaired this and put it back together. The manual talks about adjusting the gain with a pot adjustment. I will be on the water Monday and give it a test.
Thanks for the help.
BTW- with out the AP we need alot of beer. The moto is "No Beer, No Steer"