PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever change their own Shift Cable?

Wizard
07-15-2004, 01:16 PM
I have a brand new shift cable in the box. It needs to be changed next time I take her out of the water. My apprehension in doing the shift cable is that I don't know what it takes to thread through the seal in the transom shield. Already installed a new throttle cable. That was easy enough.

NoSlack
07-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Piece of cake Glenn.

Take the cover off the back of the outdrive. Pull the cotter pin and then unscrew the connector from the end of the cable. Reach around the intermediate housing and unbolt the cable clamp ( 2 1/4-20 bolts)on the backside.

Jump in the boat and pull the cable out of the rubber hose that guilds it through the transom plate. When you reinstall it, make sure the end of the hose is left above the water line. no need to have the bidge pump run 24/7. That's it for the motor end.

Climb up under the wheel and disconnect and remove the rod end connector like you did on the outdrive and that end is done.

Tape the new cable to the old one and pull it out as the new one follows it into place. My cable runs behind the breaker panel and under the sink, so it's nice if someone can be there to guild the cable through those areas.

Now that it's in, I hook up the helm end and make my length adjustments at the drive end. Shift lever in neutral and the drive in neutral, thread the end connector on until it lines up with the hole in the shift linkage. Test it for full travel forward and reverse and you're done.

Call me if ya need a hand.

Mike

Wizard
07-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Call me if ya need a hand.

That I will do. The threading of the cable through the hose part still concerns me and it's always nice to have someone helping that has done it before.

I think I will plan this for the last weekend in July.

Thanks Mike.