PDA

View Full Version : Inshore fishing 18July

yellowfin1
07-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Fished Tenacious on Sunday. After listening to the guys at the 302, 371, and 390 on the radio I decided to fish inshore. Caught 20 nice little mackerel for bait in the kelp with sabiki rigs. Stopped by to talk to Charlie in the S.D. bay entrance. He got some fish (don't want to spoil his report). I fished where he was fishing and had no luck. Only a few raked baits all morning for me in SD bay. Tried my luck just outside MB with no joy. Saw Knot Now? heading towards La Jolla kelp at about 4:00PM. Hmmm, wonder what they were up to? Sounded like the hot local ticket was the afternoon sand bass bite off of IB.

Nomad
07-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Good to see you out there Scott! What a beautiful day and flat calm seas! Not much for the cooler but lots of shorts. I ended the day with 8 short halibut from 14"-18". The steady action kept me from moving on. Of course I was convinced I was one short away from that 20 lb doormat. But no joy as that keeper never showed.

yellowfin1
07-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Charlie,

Likewise. The Nomad looks outstanding as usual. Kinda strange that I didn't get any fish and during the time when I was there I didn't see your rod bent once? Hmmmm? I'm Kidding!!

Nomad
07-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Unfortunatly you got there after a change in the drift occured! For the 2 hours I worked that spot before you got there the drift was right up the channel. I would get a short with each drift, all within the same area. After that the wind took charge and the drift switched to cross channel. Didn't hook up after that (was also after you arrived....hmmmm, maybe a connection). Also managed a short off Hotel Del.

NoSlack
07-19-2004, 04:34 PM
I took a look at the area off the Del as well on Saturday. No bait in the area = no halibut in the box. If and when the bait moves back in, the place will kick out some fish.

Looks like the next 2 or 3 weeks will be devoted to halibut while we wait out the arival of the summer exotics.

See ya boys on the flats.

Mike