PDA

View Full Version : Volvo DP-G outdrives

grey goose
05-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Does anyone know if picking up raw water through the out drive serves a function to the out drive itself?
could the water drawn in at the outdrive serve a cooling function that I may negate by installing a raw water strainer elsewhere?

Been looking at some nice units that would fit in really well just wondered about where take the water from.
If it is a problem I could just reroute the water flow and still use the outdrive for the pick up.

Al Gagnon
05-16-2012, 09:04 PM
I think it is just part of the function of the outdrive by the manufacturer. I have a friend that uses a raw water pump, driven off the pulley, in front of the engine to cool the engine. Not sure what is done by the exit from the outdrive pump. I could be wrong. There are other guys that will give a better answer to your question.

grey goose
05-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks A G. the info comming in leans toward the water drawn through the leg being used for some cooling purpose when on plain and the outdrive being higher out of the water. this drive does however have the "shower" tube mounted on the port side.
I will probably not chance bypassing the factory pick up site and go another route.

Royal Hook
05-17-2012, 05:05 PM
I think VP just believes it's a cleaner all inclusive system, with no need to drill a hole thru the hull.
The OD will be kept plenty cool just by being in the water.
Plenty of boats out there have a hole w/ scupper connected to their raw water pump.
Cooling water though must exit the engine through the exhaust elbow to cool the exhaust.

grey goose
05-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Yeah copy that. All I would be doing is an extra pick up point with strainer thru an existing thru hull fitting.
The water taken in would follow the factory route through the pump, aftercooler,oil heat exchanger, and out through the exhaust elbow. nice to have another open waterway to the raw water pump if one gets fouled.

grey goose
06-07-2012, 08:30 PM
went ahead and did the extra strainer install, Turned out pretty nice since I was able to put in a fresh water engine flush that I was really after in the first place, the boat now has two pick up points for raw water and either one can be isolated by valves to clean one while drawing from the other.