PDA

View Full Version : Repowers

Import Manager
04-27-2004, 09:07 PM
#0, Repowers
Posted by Sleigher on Nov-18-02 at 11:53 AM

I know a few of you have repowered your inboards with Yanmars. Did you look seriously at the Cummins B-series and if you did why did you go with the Yanmar or other? I haven't heard of anyone doing the Cummins in a Blackman has anyone else?
I know it would be involved but I think that goes without saying on a repower that is not just a new engine of the same type.
It's winter and I need something to think about while at work.
Thanks

Peter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Repowers
Posted by Tuba8 on Nov-19-02 at 09:35 AM
In response to message #0

No I never did
I ask don what motors he recomended the Volvo and Yanmar were his choses. And he leaned to the Yanmar the size of the motor was the big deal for me it was shorter than Volvo 51'' 47 for the Yanmar

My change was a little different I converted from gas and yes the motor box on my gas was smaller. Don builds every boat for the motor it was ordered with I dont know why he cant make them all the same I am sure he has his reasons. So my box would fit the Volvo by only one inch so the Yanmar fit better and it had a little more HP and I am glad I did 265 hours on the new motor running great.

Good luck with what ever you go with

Russ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Repowers
Posted by sharkwaters on Nov-24-02 at 09:43 PM
In response to message #1

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-02 AT 09:44 PM (PST)

Peter, The yanmar is the correct engine due to size restrictions. I don't know the dimensions of the Cummins, but I know it is 5.9 Litres. The 41 series volvo is 3.9 Litres. The cummins is a whole different animal. A great engine in the right boat. For the Blackman yanmar or volvo is the choice. We choose yanmar because; overall size, quiet operation, fuel economy, Russ' experience, rated rpm/gear combo allowed us to use same prop. Our boat can only swing a 18" wheel, When you go to a larger diameter and more gear ratio reduction, more stress is on the prop shaft. we have 1.25" and wanted to keep it. When I asked about the 43/44 series volvos, I was told to use 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" shafts. We didn't want to go that route.
If you have any questions, sharkwaters@earthlink.net

#3, RE: Repowers
Posted by Sleigher on Nov-25-02 at 11:12 AM
In response to message #2

The Cummins is an inch or so taller, five inches wider, and depending on the gearbox attached, an inch or two longer. Weighs almost the same. 330 Cummins/41P Volvo (I didn't have dimensions for a 41A)
Everything else you spoke of would certainly have to be taken into account, especially the shaft and the prop. I am spinning a 19 X 18 now so maybe I could go up to a four blade?
The beauty of the Cummins is the RPM vs the Yanmar and especially the Volvo.
I think I have the room in the box and shaft alterations can be made.
It is just in the beginning stages right now as the Volvo only has 3300 hours and runs fine. It's just that on those days when you could run 25kts it would be nice to be able to.
If I do a repower I want to get a lot out of it. I know it will take a lot out of me (bank account).
Thanks guys.

#4, RE: Repowers
Posted by sharkwaters on Dec-05-02 at 07:38 PM
In response to message #3

Peter, If you are serious or just gathering more information, call Tony Athens at seaboard marine in Ventura. He is the guy that repowers most of the sport fleet. He is a authorized cummins and yanmar dealer and is probally one of the most innovated repower shops around. He does a great job with cummins. Check boatdiesel.com, Tony is the moderator for the cummins board and has alot of repower articles with pictures. He helped us out with our yanmar job. As a side note, we have a rebuilt MS4A gear for sale. It is 1.93:1 ratio. We will make a good deal on it to another Blackman owner. I think you have a direct drive. If not disregard the sales pitch.
Good luck
Bob on TUNACIOUS