PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

Wizard
07-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Got an overheating problem if I push it up over 3100 RPM. Checked impeller, it's fine. Found algae growing on strainer and cleaned it, not much help. Coolant level fine.

Got the usual suspects in mind to check this week when I pull her out of the water for some cleaning and mid-season maintenance:

Check thermostat
Check sensor and calibrate guage
Check/clean coral worms out of outdrive and thru-hull pickups
Change coolant?

What else should I check? Fresh water pump? How? What are the most usual suspects when that starts to happen that you all have seen on these Volvos?

Thanks.

sbsrf
07-26-2004, 06:39 AM
Glen, I had the same problem with Grebe before I re-powered. I basically controlled my speed by temprature. Turned out to be a muscle growing inside the intake in the motor. Good luck.

DOGHOUSE26
07-26-2004, 07:52 AM
It might be time for a Heat exchanger clean/recore/replacement as needed. Typically the first goes 5 years before cleaning, then every 3 years after that.

Wizard
07-26-2004, 08:26 AM
It might be time for a Heat exchanger clean/recore/replacement as needed.

Anyone around here do that as a service if I pull it off? I've read on boatdiesel, several people doing the same service and it not helping. But I do understand it is one of the many things to try.

Pain is, you can do many things at once, put it back in the water, do a test run and if it is fixed you don't know exactly which thing fixed it. If you do one thing at a time, that turns into a lot of pulling her in and out of the water. Hopefully it is obvious, like them stupid coral worms. I had a thru-hull outflow from a macerator get completely blocked by coral worms on my old boat.

DOGHOUSE26
07-26-2004, 09:40 AM
I believe the Blackmans use Ace Radiator on 1836 National Ave for their Heat Exchanger and Aftercooler work. (619) 233 8811 2-3 days turnaround ;)

Wizard
07-26-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks. I'll check into taking it there if I get to the point of taking it off.

NoSlack
07-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Glenn give me a call this evening. I've got a lot of questions and a few ideas for ya.

Mike

Moo Fish
07-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Let us know what you figger out......the last 400rpm (3200 wot) is good for about 10 degrees to 195 on the guage. When was the last time the valves were adjusted??

rt