PDA

View Full Version : Trailer

hijole
10-20-2012, 04:43 PM
The Hijole is ready for another trailer after 23 years and abuse. Does anyone have a good used for sale?

If not does someone have a recommendation with a recent purchase.

Thanks

DOGHOUSE26
10-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Pepe I bought the Trail Rite 15000# Tri Axle and it's been great so far; the only disappointment I had was it came with 15" 8 ply tires instead of 16" 10 Ply. Around $9,000

hijole
10-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks Jeff. I think mine is a 12000 because it came with brakes on both axles. I'll call them on Monday.
I will look for brakes on just one axle this time. I launch in Chula Vista most of the time so I'm only 5 miles from the ramp and not much on the freeway.
A friend just bought one from Pacific in Corona for his Skipjack so I'll try them also.
Steve Blackman recommended the Trail Rite.
I was kind of hoping someone here was going to sell there used very good one so they could get a better one.

NoSlack
10-21-2012, 04:51 PM
I went with F E trailers in El Cajon. Customer service was poor, gavanizing was a little lighter than I would have liked.

Mike

hijole
10-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Ok Ive checked both with Trail Rite and with Pacific for a 10K and 12K trailer. Both companies are about the same price for each. Trail Rite uses springs, welds the upright braces below the bunks and uses SS brake line. Pacific uses Torsion Axles, adjustable upright braces for the bunks and plastic brake line. The Torsion Axle for the 10K is rated for 3500lb each and the 12K trailer is rated for 5000 lb each.
Does anyone have a trailer with a Torsion Axle. I guess I'm really out of it but it is the first one I have seen. Apparently the US Army and Marines use these on most of their trailers.The problems they had with them around 2003 have been improved.
Can anyone comment on theirs.
Jeff, my Aros has 9.50x 16.5 tires. Since I use my old Dodge (1978) to tow it has always been a little challenge to launch. I thought is was a little to high.
any good or bad ideas welcome.

DOGHOUSE26
10-25-2012, 03:04 PM
I don't have to get my wheel wet to launch @ Dana, but I don't know if the 3/4" wheel diameter difference is it or not.

grey goose
10-27-2012, 05:38 PM
I dont care much for the torsion axle trailers unless it is on a small boat single axle trailer.
With tandem or triple axles the torsion design tends to load all the weight on one axle at a time when begining the decent to a launch ramp or comming in or out of a driveway. the articulating connectors between springs are there for this reason and more evenly distribute the load.

Royal Hook
11-06-2012, 04:55 PM
I have been using all alum. trailers with SS hardware, tandom torsion suspension and quad disc brakes from ABT trailers for the last 10 years and like um alot. ABSOLUTLY NO RUST ISSUES !!! They track very well behind my truck and weigh half of what a steel trailer weighs. You can custom design them yourself as far as style and model of all the bolt on applications. Ie: disc braks manufactures, side & bunk boardsboards, winch, What ever your wallet desires. Call Alan at ABT trailers.