PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Boat Insurance

Nomad
07-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Was talking to the insurance agent for my boat this morning and I mentioned I was planning a trip to the Coral soon. She said that although my policy covers me down to San Quintin, that Mexico doesn't recognize American yacht insurance. She suggested that I contact Romero's about obtaining a Liability policy for Mexico ($50k coverage for 3 months at $131). Sounds like a belt and suspenders to me. For you guys that frequent Ensenada, is this something you normally do?

Wizard
07-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Yep, I bought Mexican truck and boat insurance from http://www.discoverbaja.com/ for the same reason. My boat insurance only covers Mexican waters, not towing. And my Mexican truck/boat insurance, only covers me when I am in Mexico with both (in other words, doesn't cover the truck for separate jaunts).

Professor
07-28-2004, 04:16 PM
If your going by water what you are missing is Mexican liability insurance. Probably not a big item if you aren't going into port. If you are then you should give it serious consideration.

Dos Pelones
07-29-2004, 06:47 PM
We fish the Coral and south quite a bit. I do as the Wizard does, only I use the Vagabundos del Mar travel club.
Seperate policies for towing and on the water liability while in Mexican waters.
Discover Baja has a good reputation as does Vagabundos.
Romeros has a good reputation too, if you are a yachty with money to burn!
Check out the Baja clubs, they will save you money!