PDA

View Full Version : Bait tank upgrade?

Import Manager
04-27-2004, 09:08 PM
0, Bait tank upgrade
Posted by tomfish7 on Feb-19-04 at 06:19 PM

I want to install a larger capacity bait tank than the standard
Blackman 3 scoop with dimensions 17W x 34L x 34H. I'm going with one of the following but not sure which would fit better, both are
4 scoop 65 gallon oval, Offshore marine size 21W x 40L x 30H or Pacific Edge 22W x 34L x 34H. Would appreciate opinions.
Tom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by Nomad on Feb-19-04 at 08:17 PM
In response to message #0

I have had several Offshore tanks and think they are the best that I have found.
Charlie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by MAC ATTACK on Feb-19-04 at 08:33 PM
In response to message #1

I have the Pacific Edge dual tank the same size. I love it.

Mike/ Mac Attack

#3, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by Tuba8 on Feb-19-04 at 09:01 PM

We have the off shore its the best tank I have ever had

#4, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by Wizard on Feb-19-04 at 10:08 PM
In response to message #3

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-04 AT 10:09 PM (PST)

Question, what is less-then-perfect about the original bait tank? So far, in my usage, I'm content with it. But those of you that have years of Blackman ownership under your belt apparently see the need to upgrade.
I have the original tank, a Pro Flow on the swim step that can be added for longer trips, and a small Pacific Edge on the bow that can be added when wanted. Seems like a flexible combination.

Glenn
"The Reel One"

#5, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by moo fish on Feb-20-04 at 08:37 AM
In response to message #4

My only knock on the stock Blackman tank is the drain tube in the middle of the tank and no bait well. I have two drain tubes---one for a full tank and s shorter tube for half a tank. Cut in a bait well using a platic tub with holes. And mounted a big plastic cutting board (hinged) as a tank lid. The second tank for macs is first class....rt

#6, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by Wizard on Feb-20-04 at 10:26 AM
In response to message #5

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-04 AT 01:56 PM (PST)

Maybe I don't have the original tank? My drain tube is on the starboard end of the ovalish shape. I turn it one way for a full tank, 90 degrees for half tank, and 180 from full to drain. Someone modify it? It's just a 1.5" (I think) sch 40 PVC tube with the original teak wood boat shaped top going through another square teak wood block (both of which are well weathered and I will be replacing by hand making new).
Glenn

#7, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by To The Limit on Feb-20-04 at 01:43 PM
In response to message #6

No question about it, go with the Offshore tank. I have the 65 gallon one and I never lose a bait. I have had 50+ mackeral in it for nearly two weeks and three scoops of bait for a week both with no problem. You can deal directly with Randy Wood the owner and say I recommended you to him. I have know him for over 25 years. His number is (714) 435-1299. Dan Muslin

#8, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by tomfish7 on Feb-20-04 at 03:42 PM
In response to message #7

ANYONE WITH THE OFFSHORE TANK, WOULD THERE STILL BE ENOUGH ROOM TO MOUNT ROD HOLDERS FORWARD SIDE OF TANK, BOAT IS STERN DRIVE NOT AN INBOARD. THANKS, TOM

#9, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by To The Limit on Feb-20-04 at 07:36 PM
In response to message #8

I HAVE ROD HOLDERS MOUNTED ON THE SIDE TOWARD THE BOW IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING THAT THE FORWARD SIDE. SOMETIMES THE 7 FOOT LONG ROD TIPS IN THE MIDDLE TOUCH MY ARCH WHEN I AM RUNNING BUT NO PROBLEM.

#10, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by noquestion25 on Feb-22-04 at 09:51 PM

Check out the offshore tanks. But only to steal the design and modify the blackman tank. Making the fiberglass dividers is not hard and with 5 or 6 hours worth of work you will have a bitchen tank. I converted mine, and have had no more problems with dead bait. If you want info on the measurments and how offshore tanks have there divider set up give me a shout back. This may seem like alot of work but it will make you much closer to your fishing partner, IE your boat.
No Question (aka Josh)

#11, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Feb-23-04 at 11:01 AM

Glenn,
I have the same original Blackman bait tank that you described. Seems to work fine. I have taken it out and sanded the whole thing down to 320 grit level. I picked up some acrylic plastic (1/2") and plan to incorporate a window in the tank and border it with teak. I will paint the outside with LP and hopefully have a bitchin looking bait hotel to look at on those nights at anchorage. I also removed the teak block and the handle and sanded and revarnished them. If all comes out well, I'll post a picture. If not then you won't hgear from me (I'll be sulking and licking wounds).

#12, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Feb-23-04 at 08:03 PM
In response to message #11

Scott,
I'm not so sure the tank window is such a good idea. While it might be pleasant for you to look at while at anchor, think of all the carnage you will be exposing your bait to as they swim by the window in the middle of a hot albacore bait stop; gaffed bloody fish everywhere pounding on the deck similar to the scene at Nicole Simpson's porch after O.J. stopped in for a chat. While your diesel noise muffles the screams, I don't think the first hand view will promote the rest of your bait into volunteering for a scout trip into the real world!

P.S.- I don't think they could handle watching you suck down used squid either!

#13, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Feb-24-04 at 01:51 PM
In response to message #12

Jeff,
Are you saying I should install the window facing the bow?
Or maybe I should install a curtain to cover the window during those hot bites, or maybe a stereo system that plays music underwater with subliminal thoughts that lead the bait to believe that everything is just fine under those paddies. I hope that you are part of the group of boats that does the Todos Santos trip this summer. Dinner is on me (fresh calamari of course).

Yep, I'm at work and my day is rather slow.

#14, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by Wizard on Feb-24-04 at 02:29 PM
In response to message #13

What Todos Santos trip? Sounds fun.
Glenn

#15, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Feb-24-04 at 06:11 PM
In response to message #14

Glenn ,
It's a great trip. We pull into Ensenada on a Saturday morning, pick up Michael Jackson and a bunch of his little friends and then go out and camp on Todos Santos Island for the whole weekend and play games. When we get tired of that we soak used puked up squid and catch monster 50# WSB while everyone else is sleeping. After we drop off the little ones after telling them "remember this is our little secret" we then troll back up to Mission Bay picking off albacore and yellowtail off the paddys. Then it's back to work on Monday for some well deserved rest.

#16, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by Wizard on Feb-24-04 at 06:27 PM
In response to message #15

Do I have to get plastic surgery, arrested, and be a kiddie pervert to fit in? haha =P

#17, RE: Bait tank upgrade
Posted by DOGHOUSE26 on Feb-25-04 at 08:49 AM
In response to message #16

Only if you want to be in Fan Club!