PDA

View Full Version : Autopilot Upgrade

Dos Pelones
08-03-2004, 07:10 AM
We still have the original Benmar CS-21 autopilot. We are going to upgrade to a unit which will interface with the electronics.
Is there a "head" unit out there which will work with the already installed and smooth working Benmar hydraulic steering controls on the outdrive? Thought I saw something about this archived but can't search it up.
Thanks!

NoSlack
08-03-2004, 08:47 AM
Give Benmar a call and see what they have for upgrades on the older units. On thier web site they show an upgrade from the "Course Keeper 210" to a GPS interfaced unit.
http://www.benmarmarine.com/

EDIT: I made the call after lunch to get the word straight from the horse's mouth.
You want the good new first? All you need to do is replace the control head with a Compu Course 220. The bad news is it $1800 for the new head.

Mike

Dos Pelones
08-03-2004, 01:26 PM
I called them once before also. I don't like the Compu Course 220. It is bulky and has no digital readouts. They said I would need to install a new binnacle and power unit also. Either way, I am not going to upgrade with that.
We are probably going to install a new Raymarine or Sitex unit. According to some web info the Sitex SP 70 head unit might work with the Benmar steering controls but finding someone who knows and will give up the information to a stranger who will just pick his brain and then go shopping for the cheapest price is an issue.
We are still working on the best solution for our needs and are in no hurry.