PDA

View Full Version : Need 8.75 x 16.5 Trailer Tires/Wheels

Wizard
08-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Got an original Aros trailer under a 26' Blackman Billfisher. It is a double axle trailer with 8.75 x 16.5 tires. I called Aros and they acted like that was an oddball size that they 'might' be able to order. Guy said he would check into it and call me back -- he didn't.

So where is a good place to get tires and wheels (galvanized) for that trailer? I would have thought Aros would know their own stuff, but something funny has happened with them since they stopped building trailers.

To top things off, I took one tire/wheel into Firestone that had a small leak to just get repaired, and was informed they can't repair any tire over 5 years old but would be happy to order new tires. They said it was a transportation law. What a scam. Sounds like someone in the tire/rubber industry got in bed with some politician. Either that or they just lied. Anyone else heard that one?

NoSlack
08-06-2004, 07:10 AM
When I needed to replace 1 of my tires a few years ago, I took the data off the tire and started doing some research on the internet. Found an exact replacement(different name, same tread and rating) and had Lutz tire on Market order it for me. I'll bet they can bring in some new galvanized rims as well.

Mike

Wizard
08-07-2004, 08:05 AM
I'm learning that this size tire (these wheels) are not very common. Seems they are pretty heavy duty, and not cheap. $147.50 each online is the cheapest I have seen in that size.

I was hoping someone with the same trailer had some experience replacing tires on their trailer and maybe went with some newer size tires/wheels that had the same rating.

hijole
08-31-2004, 09:41 PM
I'm not sure if this web site will post properly. I have purchased 3 sets of tires for my truck from http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp. The tire you are looking for is $102. Since the main store is in Nevada you don't pay tax.

Or,
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&width=8.75&ratio=0&diameter=16.5&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&performance=HAS&performance=ORAT&manufacturer=Firestone&manufacturer=Goodyear&manufacturer=Uniroyal&x=18&y=12

Wizard
09-03-2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I ended up buying 5 new H78-15D tires and wheels (galvanized). Now I have all new matching tires and no hassles about getting an old one repaired/replaced from time-to-time.

DOGHOUSE26
09-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Overheard you going down the line Sunday PM. Did you do any good?
(Fishing not cruising!)

Wizard
09-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Yellowtail on the way down for dinner. Yellowfin on Monday. Yellowfin and a Dorado on Thursday. Lots of sloppy water all week, including today coming home.

I'll post the longer report in the reports section.