PDA

View Full Version : Pros vs. Cons moving batteries to the bow?

brian_g
12-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Can anyone give me insight or advice as to why moving my two batteries (group 24) to the bow of my 20' center console would be a bad idea?

My decision to move the batteries came out of replacing my seat, which is where the batteries and charger were located. I thought that getting more weight in the bow would be beneficial as I am currently so "stern heavy" that my scuppers are below the water line when the boat is at rest. With the batteries in the bow, my thinking is that the stern of the boat will rise slightly.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks,

Brian

No Bad Days
12-08-2014, 01:24 PM
My 20 had 2 Group 27 batteries in the center console.

NoSlack
12-08-2014, 06:30 PM
I would keep them where they are. The extra pounding they would take in the bow may shorten the life.
Try a set of scupper valves on your transom drains. I installed the 15+ years ago and haven't used my plugs since.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/sea-dog--scupper-valve-1-7-8--14473615 Install them on the transom over the drain tubes. the work like check valves, water goes out and close off when water tries to come in. Best $5 you'll spend.
http://newcontent.westmarine.com/content/images/catalog/large/14473615.jpg

Mike

Royal Hook
12-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Hey Brian,
The little bit of weight transfer from moving the two batteries forward is not worth the cost and head ache to me.
Also there would be extra load on the starter due to much more resistance to run battery cables that far.
Looking at your set up... maybe move batteries under cc and put bait tank with bench seating where the batts now sit. I dont know for sure just a thought.
I like mikeys (NS) idea with the scuppers at least in the two outside ports.

brian_g
12-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all the advice and opinions.

After thinking about this more, and considering the resistance of running cables 20+ feet from the new battery location, back to the starter...
I am still going to go for it. I will use 1GA tinned cables. According to my calculations, with a starter drawing less than 300amps and delivering that amperage from a 12V battery over a distance of 20ft (40ft. circuit), using a 1GA wire will give me less resistivity (sp?) than the current set up on the boat.

We'll see how it all works out...

Thanks again

-Brian