PDA

View Full Version : New Antenna install...need advise

Nomad
08-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Going to replace my VHF antenna with a new one. It's suggested by Shakespeare that the coax not be bundled with other wires; mine is a single stand of spaghetti amongst a dozen in the radar arch!

Because of their recommendation I want to run the coax down the port tube, unfortunatly, the tube is not predrilled as on the starboard side. My plan is to remove the inside section of the flybridge on the port side (just a large trim piece screwed and siliconed in place) and then drill out from the inside so I don't have to remove the radar arch. Once I'm through the gelcoat I plan to drill out a hole in the SS arch and run the coax down and to the radio.

Here's a couple of questions:
1) How badly will I bugger up the gelcoat on the outside of the flybridge by drilling from nthe inside? (hole saw, probably 1 1/2"), any suggestions on how to minimize the damage? The hole will mostly be hidden by the arch.
2) Best method to drill a 1/2" hole in the ss tube on the arch, what bit will make the quickist work of it?

Going to tackle this little job on Saturday. Thanks guys!

Charlie

yellowfin1
08-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Good questions Charlie,

You can probably minimize the gelcoat damage by having someone push a piece of wood against the area where you will drill through. If you do chip the gelcoat off, it's not the end of the world. I know gelcoat work can be kind of scary though. If possible, can you drill from the gelcoat side without taking off the radar arch? I watched ship-shape and the host used a hole saw effectively by first using the drill in reverse to start the groove, then after the groove was well started, he switched it to the forward position and he didn't chip the gelcoat at all. If you do screw it up, I'm sure Steve will provide you with some gelcoat that will match perfectly.

I recently drilled a 1/4 inch hole in my radar arch. I started with a 1/8 inch bit, then went to the 1/4 inch bit. That really seemed to help. Wish I had a good bit set to lend you but, I don't. Sorry.

Good luck,

Scott

yellowfin1
08-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Sorry to post twice again but, I forgot one important thing. Put some masking tape over the gelcoat where you will drill. This is suppose to minimize the gelcoat breaking away.

NoSlack
08-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Both my VHF cables run through the same tube as everything else and I've never noticed any problems. It might be the best practice to separate them, but sometimes you have to chose between best and good enough.

Mike

Nomad
08-12-2004, 05:26 PM
I've had nothing but problems with my VHF setup. First thought it was the radio so I went out and bought a high end Icom radio. I'm told now my transmission signal is still very weak when the boat responding is less than a mile a way, sometimes, less than a hundred yards away! So I bought a new Style 5225-XP Galaxy® VHF 6dB antenna which is an improved version of the antenna Powerboat Reports list as best in class. Since I'm going to all the trouble of installing a new antenna, I thought I better install it as recommended. Perhaps it's the RDF wires that are throwing it off. I don't know. I'm out of fixes after this. Any suggestions Mike on the install? Whats the best drill bit for drilling through SS?

NoSlack
08-12-2004, 06:04 PM
I use what ever bit I have on hand. Start with an 1/8" and some cutting fluid. I use something called "Liquid Gold". Its almost as thick as honey and sticks to the spot your drilling.

If you're doing the job on Saturday, I'm suppose to get off work at around noon and could swing buy J dock after that. If things don't go well, our 6 hour job could turn into 16 and you're on your own with the install.

Mike

Nomad
08-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks Scott, good advise. Hope to troll up a marlin on Sunday if all goes according to plan Saturday.

Wizard
08-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Charlie,

My main VHF antenna is not mounted on the arch. I hesitated posting this reply, because the antenna I have is expensive and hard to get. It is a Celwave 19' antenna, mounted on the starboard side of the flybridge. The base is screwed into the side you access from inside the head. I have talked to people in Two Harbors (Catalina) on my night runs down to the dumper and lower 500. This antenna works so good, when the Customs boat broke it, I cut up some old outriggers and fiberglassed it back together.

My secondary Icom is in the galley and the antenna is mounted on the arch. It sucks too.

Here is the pdf (web link) to the antenna I have on my primary flybridge Icom.

http://www.marconi-marine.com/products/celwave/pdf/04.pdf

Nomad
08-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Thanks guys for all your advice. Hope to have this little project done by noon on Saturday. If the new antenna doesn't do the trick, the 19' option should is a great option. Any idea who the dealer is in So Cal?

DOGHOUSE26
08-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Will go right through the SS; just watch out for fingers and any fiberglass on the other side !

Wizard
08-13-2004, 09:11 AM
Charlie, If you do decide to go down the path of side mounting a tall antenna in the future, here are the exact ordering details. The other link I posted is too vague.

http://www.stright-mackay.com/pages/asp/details.asp?HeadingID=1805&CategoryID=8

And you also have to get the standoff and bottom swivel mounts.

Not cheap, as I said. And not easy to get, as this is the only place I can find on the web for ordering. No local dealers that I could find.

The antenna works extremely well, but is also apparently a pain to get.

saltwaters
08-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Charlie,

Have you checked the quality of the bad radio's hot and ground wire and the quality of the solder joint of the connector ?

Since you plan to remove the existing antenna, you could clip the connector, pull the coax from the tube, install a new connector and test the radio. This will eliminate the other wires as a source of problems. If it works better you found the problem. If not, fire up the drill motor.

Bill

DOGHOUSE26
08-14-2004, 09:33 AM
Glenn,

What is the swivel base mounted to, is it on the gunnel ? I'd like to see a pic of the installation if you ever get the chance. Do you have to take it apart for trailering?

Nomad
08-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Mission accomplished. Thanks to the help of some J Dock skippers (thanks, Rob, Russ and Dan!) the job was completed in no time last night. Seems to work well, radio checks respond but need to get on the water to really check the range. Hope to give it a go Sunday.

Wizard
08-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Glenn,

What is the swivel base mounted to, is it on the gunnel ? I'd like to see a pic of the installation if you ever get the chance. Do you have to take it apart for trailering?

The swivel base is mounted to the side of the flybridge, starboard side, screws into the cabinet in the head area with nuts inside. It is a two piece antenna. I take the top half off and store it in the cuddy, then swivel the bottom stanchion forward and velcro it to the bow rail to tow. Got an email address? I will send you pictures. Can't post pics here and MOF gone.

Glenn

Wizard
08-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Glenn,

The swivel base is mounted to the side of the flybridge, starboard side, screws into the cabinet in the head area with nuts inside. It is a two piece antenna. I take the top half off and store it in the cuddy, then swivel the bottom stanchion forward and velcro it to the bow rail to tow. You can see it in my avatar.

Got an email address? I will send you pictures. Can't post pics here and MOF gone.

Glenn

Nomad
08-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Send me the pictures and I'll post them up.