PDA

View Full Version : 41a Raw Water Pump Seal

Sleigher
08-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Has anybody had luck replacing the seal on their raw water pump from a Volvo Diesel? Am I stuck replacing the pump?
I tried to replace it on my old gas motor and it just leaked again.
Also is there any trick to removing the pump? I haven't tried yet but it's nice to know ahead of time.
Thanks in advance to anybody that responds.
Peter

NoSlack
08-15-2004, 02:01 PM
I've done the bearings and seal on an AQAD40 raw water pump. The 41 pump looks to be set up the same, just a bit smaller in size so my part numbers won't help you out.

Start off by removing the basket strainer then remove the pipe or hose off the bottom side of the pump. The pump is mounted to the engine with two bolts or studs with nuts on them, one on each side of the pump. Now that you have the bolts out the pump will side forward a few inches and your done with the removal.

To rebuild the pump start out by removing the cover and impeller. Flip the pump face down on the bench and you will see the snap ring on the backside were the shaft sticks out. With the snap ring removed I believe the shaft, bearings and seal will pull out the back side of the pump.

From there you should be able to see what you need to replace. If the shaft is worn were the seal rides, you will need to replace the shaft as well.

Mike

My pump rebuild kit, the seal is the thing sitting between the bearing.
http://bocaboard.com/data/noslack/pumpkit.JPG

Sleigher
08-15-2004, 04:16 PM
Wow! let me say it again-Wow!
Thanks Mike.
Were you in the middle of re-building your pump or did you actually have that picture handy?
Did you buy the kit?
I haven't priced it yet but it seems like if you get the kit with the shaft included you basically have a new pump.
Is there a gasket between the pump and the injection pump or do you just use "gasket maker?"

Thanks again for the response that really is more than I could have hoped for.

Peter

NoSlack
08-15-2004, 04:35 PM
I had the picture in the computer for reference. I have no idea what those part would cost. When I bought the boat 10+ years ago, it came with a boxes of spare part and the kit was one of the better finds in the pile.

The gasket between the pump and engine is an O-ring. You may be able to reuse it or pick up a new one when you get the rest of the parts.

Mike

yellowfin1
08-16-2004, 03:14 PM
Peter,

If you don't want to pay the big bucks for the parts from a Volvo dealer, try Cayman (or Kayman) Bearings in National City. You should be able to get the seals there and they could probably cross reference it. Also talk to John at the shop. When I rebuilt my AQAD 40 pimp, he gave me the extra stuff he had laying around. Saved me some $$$.

Scott

Sleigher
08-17-2004, 08:35 AM
I considered just replacing the seal but if I was going to do all the disassembly I figured it was a good idea to do the whole thing.
The kit cost $115.00 from McDonnel Marine and I should have it tomorrow. I have access to bearing houses and seal places but sometimes it's kind of nice to get it all done with a phone call, plus the shaft would have been a tough one to find.
I replaced just the seal on my old Volvo and it leaked immediately so a new shaft was called for (I replaced the whole pump instead, much cheaper on the gas motor).
After pulling the pump I found the carrier to be in bad shape so that has to go as well.
The O ring was in place but the mounting face is pitted badly which explains why there is gasket maker on the joint.
Thanks for your help.