PDA

View Full Version : Best Engine Rust Converter

Import Manager
04-27-2004, 09:17 PM
#0, Best Engine Rust Converter
Posted by moorefish on Jan-13-03 at 05:12 PM

Preping engine block for a fresh coat of paint since it's out of boat and being rebuilt to a 41B. Need to treat bare, rusty metal with a good rust converter that turns to a primer. Must be able to withstand hi temps. Permatex only goes to 200-degrees. Ideas appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Best Engine Rust Converter
Posted by bobcomp on Jan-16-03 at 09:15 AM
In response to message #0

Try Rust Destroyer from Advanced Protective Products, Inc. I have had good luck with it on engines and other applications. The can says it is "heat resistaant" to 800 deg. F.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Best Engine Rust Converter
Posted by Hijole on Jan-16-03 at 08:51 PM
In response to message #1

Good question. Bobcamp seems to have a good idea.
I've used the Kraylon Chromate for a first coat on the metal then a few coats of the Kraylon Engine paint for Detroit Diesel or Ford green colors, the cans are labeled. (These are much cheaper than the VOLVO green and are rated for 300 degrees.)For the end product I like the VOLVO green to keep it original. If I see any off color I know I'm down to the previous coats but good paint.
After you finish your project with the 41b I really will be interested in knowing all the info on your project.I've read several articles on the conversion with differant opinions. Don't forget the pictures. NoSlack takes pictures of everything which makes for interesing reading and "Mechanics for Dummies" easier to follow.
Good Luck!!

#3, RE: Best Engine Rust Converter
Posted by Nomad on Jan-16-03 at 10:32 PM
In response to message #2

Remember, I'm always happy to post the pictures and information at the home page (www.followingsea.net)
Charlie

#4, RE: Best Engine Rust Converter
Posted by moorefish on Jan-20-03 at 10:28 AM
In response to message #3

Good info guys! Worst rust was on the main flywheel, power steering pump, pully arms, and areas around the forward part of the engine. My bait tank splashes over and can drain beneath engine hatch. I need to fix that.
Well, I painted the engine. Used a special BBQ paint that handles heat up to 1200-degrees for the turbo. Finished job with Volvo green. No more rust and it shines. The engine rebuild and upgraded parts to make it a 41B will cost aprox 6k with labor. There's still the question of whether to upgrade the air filter system. More parts and new valve covers required. Could save some cash however, considering how quickly the crankcase breather contaminates the main air filter.

#5, RE: Best Engine Rust Converter
Posted by NoSlack on Jan-20-03 at 05:07 PM
In response to message #4

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-03 AT 06:34 PM (PST)

Did someone finally come up with a good modification to move the air filter away from the crankcase vent?
I've seen the crankcase vent piped into the turbo charger suction on some diesel autos like my 1985 Mercedes. I've never heard anyone complain about the turbo getting fouled on their car, so that could be an option for us guys with high hours on our engines.

On the 40A the air filter is less than 2" from the crankcase vent and is the main cause of the filter fouling.

Mike

#6, RE: Best Engine Rust Converter
Posted by moorefish on Jan-22-03 at 11:09 AM
In response to message #5

See my post listed on boatdiesel.com. Go to Volvo Penta Forum for 41 engines and look for thread: Upgrade "Air Filter Upgrade A series air filter to B series" Great site for diesel info!