PDA

View Full Version : 182 and in

firebc
08-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Sunday, we head out to the 182. Lots of paddies and lots of boats, but no fish. Worked the area for three hours and started working back. After stopping on about 20 paddies, we got one that produced. 5 hookups and 1 landed. Dodos under two or three others, but no takers. The ocean was flat until the wind kicked up around 0930. Water was deep blue and I could see color about 45 feet down. From one spot you could see Clemente, Catalina, and the Coronados. Don't remember to many days like that!

Phil

NoSlack
08-23-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the report from the 182 area. I'm putting together the attack plan for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with my Dad, and every bit of info helps.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
08-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Mike,

I heard a report the 3/4 day Pt Loma Boat took 39 WSB near the border today. Maybe they will hang around; look for bird schools. No size given.

Good Luck :D

NoSlack
08-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Thats not just a report, it's a fact. Got the word on a big school in the area from a diver over the weekend.

I would have love to be on it Sunday, but I was spending some quality time with the wife at her company picnic. :mad:

Mike

firebc
08-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Saw your pictures with the marlin. Nice fish. Glad it was a catch and release. I agree....save 'em for other people to enjoy. I wouldn't mind going halibut fishing with you sometime.

Phil

NoSlack
08-24-2004, 12:20 PM
I hope to talk my dad into a little halibut fishing before the week is out. They want to make a meat run on Wednesday and should be game for anything after that.

Their idea of a meat run is Yellows and Dorado. If I was freezing up a bunch of fish to take home, it would be Lingcod and Halibut. But what do I know, I'm just the boy behind the wheel this week.

If we find the halibut are still around, we could get together on the weekend and give it a try.

Mike

Professor
08-24-2004, 02:06 PM
Mike

Congratulations on the solo marlin. I would have not even thought of taking pictures. You are definitely the man.

Fished the IB border area a week ago on Monday afternoon for an hour and it was dead as a doornail. The half day boat moved three times during the hour and was close enough two times that I could see lots of no bend rods on board. The western edge of the IB kelp bed was loaded with mini macs that would be perfect WSB bait. They were also entertaining for the grandchildren I had with me. I like my quality time better than yours.

Saturday morning we finished up a two day trip north of the 302. Had two zips on the marlin jigs but was 0 for two. One of the zips was a dodo that went airborne higher than the bridge on the boat before leaving us. Kelps were almost non existent in the area and everything north of the 425 and 302 was loaded with boats. If you stopped for any reason you had company right away. Weekday fishing is definitely the way to go. For us Friday was a great day. The morning was limits of reds at the Banda Bank followed by limit fishing for yellows and dodos south of the 295.

Sounds like your La Jolla action is the way to go for local fishing unless the WSB continue to chew down south.

firebc
08-24-2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks Mike,

I will be out on Sunday with my son and his friend. The plan for now will probably be the Islands but it's open. Do you know if the WSB were hanging around S. Kelp?

Phil

NoSlack
08-24-2004, 08:20 PM
The WSB were taken at IB kelp on Monday and gone the next day. They're around, just got to be real lucky and be in the right place at the right time.

Mike