PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on 8/29

firebc
08-30-2004, 03:50 PM
It was a day of shoulda's. Should have gone out the day before when Mike caught some nice fish at the Rockpile. Should have headed out where Russ fished and caught yellows off of paddies. Instead, we started toward the Rockpile, found a paddy off of S.Kelp and hooked two yellows. Landed one, and gave one as a sacrifice to the sea lions at the gaff! It took him 30 minutes to eat it...we watched as he tossed it around just 100 yards from us. At the RP things were slow, one here, one there. Anyway, we ended up at the N. end of the Middle Grounds 3 more hook ups lost to sea lions but one BlueFin landed. First one for the Fire Escape. Whoppie...sort of.

Phil

NoSlack
08-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Nothing goes better with a little wasabi than some BFT.

Looks like I need to spend a few days slow trolling the deens in the middle grounds to fill by Bluefin slot. The idea of going to the Dumper for one, just isn't going to happen on my boat.

Should a, could a, is what I keep telling my dad all week. Number one son was falling out of favor real fast, until we hit the pile for some fish on Friday.

Mike

ps: I know you caught some nice fish this year but I sill see a big "0" in your point column. What gives?

DOGHOUSE26
08-30-2004, 07:05 PM
Got back from Vegas Saturday night, talked to Russ and Dan about what was going on and headed for Russ's tailer numbers from Saturday just inside the 101 just outside the pile. 2 nm from the numbers we get bit on PB 3.5 ; the fish jumps like a fool and takes off. I have plenty of time to reel in the other lines, get a belt on my son Chris, organize the cockpit, retrieve the drop back mack, and climb back up to the bridge to see the fish greyhounding 200 yards straight away. Then Chris says he's off and we reel in the line with a 6' tail of 125# leader left, the other 6-8' and jig are gone!
Oh well, set um up and turn towards the pile when we weren't 1.5 nm away the MGJ goes off and a skinny marlin jumps away from the boat; I burn off 150yds or so with the boat, get the cockpit ready and this one falls off after 4 minutes. Set um up again , go 3/4 nm north and get zipped on MJG again, I'm already in the cockpit, drop the mack back as Chris slows the boat down and the stupid carp passes the mack and hits the sinking MJG! Chris guns the boat for 200 yards, grabs the rod, and fights this one for 6 minutes before it falls off. I'm using 2 hook rigs 180 degrees apart! Oh well, set um up and get a dorado later in the day, he was impaled on the hooks!

Dan and Ann hooked up on a tailer on the way home off South Island but her's fell off too after a 45 minute battle.

At least we're getting bit!

yellowfin1
08-31-2004, 07:48 AM
Three hookups on the jigs? Geez, I've been dragging a marlin lure every summer in my tuna spread and put in 4 days of trolling for marlin this season with four 3.5 zukers in the wake and have never gotton bit on a jig yet! The guy who sold me the boat said she gets bit real good too?? Oh well I'll keep trying. At least with guys like Jeff going three for three on the misses I feel like my second place slot is safe for now. Although I guess Jeff already has check in the billfish category. I'll try again Monday.

firebc
08-31-2004, 11:33 AM
You know Mike, I just found that on the website about a week ago. I don't know how to post the fish counts. Do I turn the counts into Charlie? Also, your so good at backing everything up with pictures, and I never remember to take a camera.

Phil

NoSlack
08-31-2004, 12:43 PM
The camera is the key to the tounament. No picture, no points.

A couple more months and we all start over with a clean slate. Get a cheap digital camera for the boat and e-mail the photos to Charlie or use the new bocapix.com feature he just enabled. It's never to soon to gear up for next year.

Mike

firebc
09-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks Mike, I've got the camera, just not enough memory...not the camera, me!

Phil