PDA

View Full Version : How much oil do you need in that drive anyway?

DOGHOUSE26
09-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Boat has been running well and it was time to do an oil and fuel filter change (94 Hrs.) and a lower unit oil change (194 Hrs.). Did the engine work yesterday without a hitch and since Dan was doing both of his today I mooched his trailer after he completed his work so I would not have to drive to Vista to get mine. After fishing last Sunday I noticed 2 things; while setting the trolling lines I got a whiff of diesel exhaust above the transom which has NEVER happened, and in the slip at the end of the day I could hear a chirping noise coming from the top of the outdrive. I also saw more smoke at idle than I normally do and I normally only see that at start up. Well I thought it was a good idea to check it 6 hours ahead of schedule and my fears were correct; noticed a little sludge on the drive dipstick and when we pulled the drain plug it looked like a 1930s era soda squirter - 1-2 quarts of clear water followed by maybe 1 quart of slimey synthetic fluid. Since I didn't want to leave my boat out on Dan's trailer( I'm not sure he would have went for it either) all weekend we just refilled the case and buttoned her back up with new synthetic and put her back in the slip. The plus side is the chirping noise went away and there were no metal shavings on the drain plug; the bad side is a needed overhaul first of next week with probably complete bearings replacement. I hope the fish don't go wide open this weekend as it will be tough to stay off the water since I was able to go out only 1 of 3 days last weekend.

My smoke problem could be injector(s) related; everything else seems fine.

I guess it's just the cost of doing business ! :rolleyes:

P.S. - Dan's oil-to-water ratio was much better than mine!

NoSlack
09-10-2004, 07:35 AM
I had a bit of an oil to water ratio problem myself 2 weeks ago. The seal for the shift cam behind the cover gave up after 23 years. It happened sometime during the 3 days my dad was down and I flushed out the drive and changed the seal the day after they left.

Being on a trailer you can catch problems like that in time to save the gears and bearings(I hope). After draining the oil I fill it up with WD-40 and rotate the gears by hand to break up any oil and water that may be still in the drive. After draining the WD-40, I fill it up with a light oil 30W and run it for 10 to 15 minute, shifting it in and out of gear. Drain that oil out and put in the 80W-90 oil and hit the road. I'll do one more oil change after the first trip to just to make sure all is well.

Mike

To The Limit
09-10-2004, 07:36 AM
Apparently not much. Why do we spend all that money on oil when we can just use sea water. I would however recommend good clean water from offshore versus Mission Bay.

Moo Fish
09-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Been there, done that with the shift cam seal......everytime I shift, I have visions of the POS roll pin that holds it all together!!.....rt

DOGHOUSE26
09-14-2004, 11:01 PM
I don't know but I had plenty around the base of my rear prop seal! I thought it was funny when removing all my electronics and rods off the boat I noticed one of my 20# "rentrods" only had about half a spool left on it and it was only used on a couple of trips. The other half of the spool was around my shaft! Disassemble and clean, new seals , o-rings, and top main bearing, and a new shift cable makes everything so smooth. Only spent $600 so I didn't get a free T-Shirt. At least I'm back in the water and didn't have to try out the new security system @ Blackman's. :rolleyes:

NoSlack
09-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Sounds like things are slowing up at the shop. In and out in a couple days for 6 bills is a pretty good turn around.

You're back in the game just as the weather looks to be improving for the weekend.

Mike