PDA

View Full Version : Ain't it always the way

Pistolero
09-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Took days off for a long Labor Day weekend, hoping to get out for tuna with BOCA member Bob Mills(Dos Locos). He made it out 67 miles one day before I could escape from work and picked up 15 albies in bumpy and windy conditions. Next day, Ain't it always the way, it was way too rough to get out...we cooled our heels fishing inshore and tried again the next day...still blown off the tuna grounds. More inshore fishing for rockfish, flounder etc. We promised to hook up again when things improved. Weeelllllllll, mid-week a few days later, all the albies you wanted were 15 miles from Monterey or Santa Cruz harbors. Bob and I, both back to work, decided to hook up on the weekend to make up for the last weekend. Bob and buddy show up after driving 200 miles from home,,,this time we were to fish on my boat (Pistolero). Ain't it always the way, the warm water moved off shore and the winds picked up. 15-25 kt winds and 7 ft waves every 9 seconds. We didn't lack perseverence....we actually cleard Pt. Pinos heading west at 11 knots, half my cruising speed. No luck...couldn't take the pounding. Sought out the lee side waters in Carmel Bay (can't beat the scenery) and limited on rockfish up to 5-6 lb. Neither of us can fish this coming weekend, so I wouldn't be surprised if waters calm, wind dies and tuna move in....ain't it always the way!

yellowfin1
09-14-2004, 07:39 AM
Sorry to hear that Jose,

I'm sure you'll be rewarded in the near future with some big fish. When it happens it will be all that much sweeter!
Funny thing isn't it, the whole month of August was flat calm too. At least you have that excellent shallow water rockfish fishery up there right?

Scott

Pistolero
09-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Amen, shallow water rockfish is a guaranteed limit as long as you know the spots...usually within an hour or so. The trick is to get the big ones...that means casting an iron with a plastic teaser, so you target the aggressive ones. Bad news, they're closing rockfishing for Nov and Dec. That means only sanddabs. Guess it would be a good time to travel to faraway fishing destinations.