PDA

View Full Version : 9/26 302 and the 9

NoSlack
09-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Today was going to be a leisurely day of inshore fishing. The plan was to launch around 7:30, make a few macs, check out one of my Lingcod spots to see if any monsters were home, then hit the beach and stock up on some halibut for the BBQ.

I'm sitting off the end of the jetty by 8:00 minding my own business, making some bait when some one comes over the radio with a report of easy pickings on the YFT at the 302. Being a crew of one today, it didn't take much to convince myself to change the plan.

I dropped the jigs in at 9:15, a mile above the high spot and picked up a quick double. Jigs go back in and I get a single as I cross the top of the bank. I turn the boat north and pick up one more in the area of the first stop. I've only been in the area an hour and I already have all I want of these cute little fellas.

I swap out the feathers for some marlin jigs and head for the barn. I hear a report of good YFT fishing just outside the top of the "9" at 35 over 29. I check my plotter and see I'll be cutting right through that area in an hour or so. Just as I hit the numbers all 4 rod go off and I land a quad to put me at 8 fish. These guys didn't care what you were dragging, marlin jigs, rapalas or feathers, they hit it all today.

Mike

http://www.bocaboard.com/data/510/4YFT_quad.jpg

yellowfin1
09-27-2004, 07:59 AM
Nice work again Mike,

You gotta love those leisurely days of fishing solo. Looks like a couple of those fish are a little bigger than your typical peanut we've been seeing?

Scott

NoSlack
09-27-2004, 11:20 AM
The fish in close were in the #8.5 to #9.2. The guys out at the 118-10 line above the 43 claimed they were in 20 pound class fish.

Mike

Dos Pelones
09-28-2004, 06:59 AM
Way to go! You inspired me to try again the local stuff seeing as how the fish seemed to be on the chew and moving fast. I fished the local highspots out of Dana Point 4 times last week for nada which was torture knowing the fish were just a few hours south down the 117.50!
Yesterday afternoon after work around 1:00pm I went straight to the 209 w/o bait and got an easy limit on the rat YFT's on the cedar plugs trolling the dolphin schools and was back at the fuel dock before 5:30.
These too were the sub 10 pounders. However, beats the commute home and the skunk too! We are trying the 43 Wednesday and lobster season opens this weekend. Weather looks ok, I hope.

Jorge