PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 290 Outdrive Gear Ratios

Import Manager
04-28-2004, 05:53 PM
#0, Volvo 290 Outdrive Gear Ratios
Posted by moorefish on Jan-02-03 at 12:43 PM

I have a 25' fb Skipjack with a 41A diesel/290-duo prop. Boat weighes aprox 8k when loaded but could weight more. My Volvo diesel mechanic said we may consider going from present 195/1 gear ratio to 2.3. Says it will extend engine life. Downside is I also heard the outdrive will bear more wear. My plan is to move from A5's to A4's to attain wot of 3900 loaded. Any input appreciated. Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Volvo 290 Outdrive Gear Ratios
Posted by NoSlack on Jan-02-03 at 08:25 PM
In response to message #0

I'm no expert, but I would think you are going to accomplish the same thing by going down in pitch on the props. Props are nothing more than a set of worm gears cutting through the water.
Your goal should be reaching WOT with the boat loaded like it would be on a typical day of fishing(3 fat friends and enough tackle to open your own swap meet). When you get it propped for 3900 loaded you should be able to run it all day long at 300-400 RPM(check the book on those numbers) below that without shortening the life of the engine.

This is the guild line I run my 23 year old AQAD40 at and she is still running strong.

Mike

p.s. if you can get in 400 hours a year of fishing, it will be the year 2023 before you dialing a new engine. Long live the green monsters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Volvo 290 Outdrive Gear Ratios
Posted by moorefish on Jan-03-03 at 07:18 AM
In response to message #1

Thanks Mike! I had the engine checked and showed low compression on the #6 (280 psi). Others had marginal compression (310 avg) so I decided to rebuild my 1989 41A since the head was off, etc. Looking at mucho $ with new pinion gear in 290 outdrive. I like your idea. Staying with the 195/1 ratio and A4's. The green monsters rule!

#3, RE: Volvo 290 Outdrive Gear Ratios
Posted by Sleigher on Jan-03-03 at 08:32 AM
In response to message #2

Hey Mike, How much is much dollars?
My friend had a lot of work done on his 42 and for a little more he could have had all brand new. Minus install labor.
Have you looked at this site?http://www.accesscom.net/~tropical/volvo/dengines.html#INBOARD/OUTBOARD
Just a thought.
Good luck.

#4, RE: Volvo 290 Outdrive Gear Ratios
Posted by moorefish on Jan-04-03 at 09:32 AM
In response to message #3

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-03 AT 04:30 PM (PST)

Thanks Pete! How's the Longfin doing?
My 41a has a mere 3,000-hrs on it so I went for a factory rebuild kit which includes liners from Volvo. Cost is aprox $3100 which does not include a rebuilt turbo or injectors. With labor we're looking at aprox 6k. This includes replacing my original exhaust elbow and all the injector nozzles. My engine's main accessories (turbo, aftercooler, starter/alt, rebuilt fuel pump (1000-hrs ago), heat exchanger, oil cooler, etc, are all functioning. Considering that, I think the rebuilt kit could be the way to go. Curious, how many hours do you have on your 41 and what have your replaced or repaired? Mike

#5, RE: Volvo 290 Outdrive Gear Ratios
Posted by sharkwaters on Jan-05-03 at 08:55 PM
In response to message #4

mike, Did you chck the price to convert your "A" engine to a "B" ? If you are replacing piston and liners, the "B" version will boost compression and reduce the start up smoke. Talk to your mechanic. Good luck on the rebuild.
Bob

#8, RE: Volvo 290 Outdrive Gear Ratios
Posted by moorefish on Jan-06-03 at 03:21 PM
In response to message #5

I know he is upgrading to B series on new exhaust elbow and nozzles. Not sure if the liner/kit offers upgrade to B-series. I need to find that out.
Thanks for the head's up!

#6, RE: Volvo 290 Outdrive Gear Ratios
Posted by Sleigher on Jan-06-03 at 08:08 AM
In response to message #4

Boat is doing fine, just finished waxing last weekend.
Zach had replaced the tach when I got the boat. The old tach read 3000+ and I have put around 300 hours on it since.
I've talked to plenty of guys with 5000+ and I know a guy in Huntington, with a Skipjack, who has 8000 hrs.
The reason I suggested a new unit is that my friend who had hit something in the channel ended up spending over 16K for his rebuild etc. Insurance picked up half.
Good luck.

#7, RE: Volvo 290 Outdrive Gear Ratios
Posted by moorefish on Jan-06-03 at 03:18 PM
In response to message #6

Ouch! 16k is mucho. Z just purchased another boat. A Farallon. take care. Mike