PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Diesel 165 HP

saltwaters
10-18-2004, 06:39 PM
I looked at boat over the weekend that has a pairof 165 HP volvos. (TAMD40?)

I know a lot of you have had these engines in the early 80 Blackmans. Can you give me some advice on them? The good, the bad and the ugly. I think these are the ones that have overheating problems.

The engines have 2400+ hours on them. There is some evidence of rusty water leaking from the raw water pumps and other fittings on the cooling system. Slight weepage at the turbo/manifold gasket and a few other spots

Are these major problems?

The boat is a 28 Topaz named the 50 50. He's a SD Marlin CLub member. Is anyone familiar with the boat?

Thanks

Bill

DOGHOUSE26
10-18-2004, 09:18 PM
The boat belongs to the Grants, longtime SD Marlin Club members and friends of mine. The 50/50 has been used not abused and those Topaz's catch fish! Troy and Shera would take that boat either to Clemente or Ensenada wherever the marlin would be for a long weekend of fishing. There are alot of trolling hours on that boat. I have a good friend Gerry Lively who owns a similar Topaz which they repowered with 200's and it really flys; he and his brother can tell you what to expect in regards to maintenence and upkeep of a Topaz boat. I have fished with him several times, the boat puts out a clean wake when trolling which helped us win the 2004 ILTT Marlin tourney Small Boat Division with a Marlin release on the short corner this past September at the West End! Cruise with 165s should be 15-18 with a top of 22-24; with 200s cruise @ 18-22 with a top of 30. Coming back from Cat we did 22 @ 3200 and 26.5 @ 3400 in the lee. Get an engine oil sample test and find out who did the engine maintenence. I'll ask my mechanic buddy who might know who or even he did the work on the boat, he knows Troy also. I know the boat wasn't used very much the past 2 years as Troy and Shera spent all their time building a dream home. I'll send you a PM when my buddy gets back from vacation next Monday. Gerry is a good contact for info, I can PM his home number if you like. His brother and he owned a Blackman 20' skiff before they bought their Topaz the Lively One in the early 90s.

NoSlack
10-19-2004, 08:21 AM
Those TMAD40s and AQAD40s are great motors in my opinion. The 40Bs are rated at 165hp vs the 40As putting out 150hp. Most of the myth about cooling issues are from guys like me that were running one prop size to big to get that extra knot out of the boat.

My engine had over 3000 hours on it with to much prop. Last year I went to a Duo-Prop. That drive/prop combo unloaded the engine considerably, dropped the temp 10 degrees, increased the speed and she has never ran better. The engine is now 23 years old with over 3300 hors and still runs like the day Don dropped it in the boat.

The cooling system is like all others. Keep it clean, check your fittings and it will serve you well. The leak at the turbo is a bad gasket. They came out with a new gasket a few years back that is stainless with a rubber seating surface that will take care of that problem.

One area to be concerned about is the back end of the hear exchanger were the rubber boot is. The boot slides over a cast aluminum nipple that is prone to corrosion. This can be weld repaired or a new nipple made and welded on vs. buying a new cooler for $1200.

Mike

saltwaters
10-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Doghouse. Thanks. The ad says it goes 28 MPH at cruise and 32 top end. Your numbers seem a little more realistic. It seems like a nice boat. Set up for fishing and must put out a clean wake otherwise there wouldn't be so many marlin photos on it.

I'd like to find out who has been maintaining it amongst other questions.

Send me your number (if you don't mind) and we can talk on my dime.

DOGHOUSE26
10-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Bill,

Did you pull the trigger yet? :rolleyes:

saltwaters
11-01-2004, 06:28 PM
It looks like I can get a 28 ft slip in Mission Bay, Marina Village on 'L' dock.

I hope to talk to the broker tomorrow.

Now, I need a marine surveyor and engine surveyor.

Getting closer.

Bill