PDA

View Full Version : Tools & Spares

Import Manager
04-28-2004, 05:55 PM
#0, Tools & Spares
Posted by Professor on Oct-25-02 at 04:55 PM

As launch time approaches for the new boat I’m busy scrambling around gathering up all the miscellaneous items I feel I’ll need for the boat. One area where I’m somewhat clueless is what spares and tools should I have on the boat (26’ Billfisher with an AD41). I want to be prepared but I’m also trying to keep aggregate weight of things I put on the boat down. Any lists or ideas you have would be appreciated.
Yale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Tools & Spares
Posted by NoSlack on Oct-25-02 at 07:01 PM
In response to message #0

1) Spare prop, cone and bolt
2) A set of belts
3) Fuel filters
4) Air filter
5) Spare bilge pump
6) Spare bait pump and a few feet of hose
7) Hose clamps
8) A gallon of engine oil (DELO 400 15w-40)
9) 5 minute epoxy
10) A small roll of marine wire, fuses, wire nuts, lugs, tape,
ty-raps, crimpers....
11) Tool box, wrenches, sockets, allen wrenches all metric
12) A small amount of metric hardware
13) A few gallons of fresh water in you holding tank for a
cooling system emergency
This list should get ya started.

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3, RE: Tools & Spares
Posted by Professor on Oct-26-02 at 04:18 AM
In response to message #1

Mike & Charlie,
Thanks for the input. Back to the stores. This is fun if you don't look at your bank account or VISA statement.

#2, RE: Tools & Spares
Posted by Nomad on Oct-25-02 at 08:45 PM

Add to Mikes list:
Hand bilge pump
Oil filter wrench (not easy to find for the stock volvo filters)
Duct tape
waterproof flashlight

I also carry one of those mini jump starters in case I ever loose the batteries. Had this on my last boat so I just transferred it. Not sure if it's necessary on the blackman.

#5, RE: Tools & Spares
Posted by NoSlack on Oct-26-02 at 09:07 AM
In response to message #2

Charlie
I don't think there is any way one of those mini-jump start packs would ever start a diesel with a dead battery. It might give just enough kick if you catch your batteries before they go all the way down.
This time of year I would put it back in the garage so you could add a few more rockcod jigs to the pload.

Mike

#6, RE: Tools & Spares
Posted by Nomad on Oct-26-02 at 01:45 PM
In response to message #5

Never had to use the darn thing and they are kind of heavy so I think I'll take your advice!

#4, RE: Tools & Spares
Posted by Nomad on Oct-26-02 at 07:27 AM

Yale,
Don't forget you will also need to provide the coast guard package and all lines and fenders.

Charlie

#7, RE: Tools & Spares
Posted by Professor on Oct-27-02 at 05:07 AM
In response to message #4

Charlie
My safety list seems longer than my fishing tackle list but I guess it’s more important that my crew and I get back than we catch fish.

General Safety Equipment
6 Pfd's with lights
Fox 40 Classic Whistle
Throw cushion
Fire extinguishers
2 large
1 small for galley
First aid kit for general use
Ditch Bag
Add prior to ditch
Waterprof Handheld VHF radio
Handheld GPS
Heavy duty flashlight
Permanent contents
Strobe attached to bag
406 EPIRB
2 gallons water
4 pounds trail mix
Toilet paper
5 Ea 12 gauge aerial flares
5 Ea hand held night flares
5 Ea hand held orange smoke flares
2 Ea space blankets
Leatherman tool
Fishing kit
Wetsuit
Two rods & reels
Raft
Winslow Coastal raft
Standard Survival Equipment in raft kit
1 Oral Inflation Tube
1 Repair Kit (Repair Tape, 1-3" Repair Clamp & 2 PRV Plugs w/ Tether)
1 Bellows Air Pump, spring loaded
1 Raft Knife
1 SS Lockback Utility Knife
1 Bible
2 Sponge
1 Survival Manual
1 Retaining Line
2 Paddle with retro-reflective segments (Pair)
1 Bailer bucket (2.5 gallon)
1 Flashlight, Extended Life
2 Spare Batteries for Quick-Grab™ Flashlight (canopied life raft only)
1 Quick-Grab™ Pelican® Flashlight on Arch (canopied life raft only)
1 Spare Bulb Assembly for Quick-Grab™ Flashlight (canopied life raft only)
1 Signal mirror (2 x 3)
1 Whistle with tether (SOLAS/USCG)
3 Flares (Red Hand Held Locator)
1 SEE/RESCUE® 6 inch x 25 feet RescueStreamer™
3 Flares (Red Aerial Meteor)
1 First Aid Kit
1 Anti-Seasickness Tablets (6 per person)
1 Fishing Kit (standard)
1 Water Rations - 4 oz. per person

#8, RE: Tools & Spares
Posted by Hijole on Nov-05-02 at 08:56 PM
In response to message #7

You did say you were going to take the boat to Baja? What a list.You have alot of things I didn't think of. I like the bible. I have a St. Christopher medal.
The longer I have had my boat the more things I begin to take off. My dock box has alot of things I used to have on the boat. They just got in the way.
The 3 drawers on the left side now have hooks, swivels etc.on the top,rubber lures in the middle and metal lures below. Four Plano boxes fit in the top two drawers and six boxes on the bottom. I put my tools below the seat behind the drawers.I put extra reels below the seat behind the large door (right side).
I'm sure you will get Vessel Assist.
I would add a small bolt cutter.Craftsman makes a small one for about $10 to break off a hook stuck into somone.

A spare light for the red/green night lights.

A fuse for the outdrive. $20. It goes on the starter and you will need it when you can't get the outdrive to go up.

I keep an extra key for my truck in the boat.

Sears always has their tools on sale. Make sure to get the metric.You should add a .44mm or 40mm gauge to set the valves.

A flare nut wrench set for the flare nuts. They are on the injectors and pump. You may not need these for awhile.Wait for the sale.

A bicycle tire pump for the air for the hydraulic steering.

A 90 degree channel pliers to be able to pull the water impeller off the raw water pump. And carry an extra impeller.

Make a list of the in-line fuses for the bait and wash down pumps. Radar, gps, radio etc. They take different in-line fuses.

I use a small green net used for an aquarium and tropical fish to clean the scales and thick stuff fish spit out in the fish hold.

#9, RE: Tools & Spares
Posted by Professor on Nov-06-02 at 10:07 PM
In response to message #8

Hijole,
Thanks for all the ideas that I would have totally ignored until I was at least 25 miles out to sea and in need. It’s amazing how a two-bit fuse can put a damper on the fun.

The bible is part of the Winslow raft standard package of items that come with the raft. That copy is one I hope not to be in a position of ever referring to. I would just as soon have another copy in the cabin next to my Chapman Piloting and a couple of good fishing magazines.

The boat is going to Ensenada for its first 90 days of operations. My plan is to then bring her back to San Diego for about a month to get her ready for a month or two in the Gulf of California. I would like to take a week and run her to La Paz, leave her there for about a month with one or two trips down to visit (I’ve heard that Blackmans get lonely and need lots of attention). I plan to bring her back in mid June for the annual chicken hunt through late October and then repeat the run to La Paz trip. Fall in the La Paz and East Cape areas can produce some good yellowfin and blue marlin fishing for good-sized fish. The weather is a bit warm in October but if I have to suffer so be it.

This type of agenda is why I went with a trailerable Blackman. If I was going to leave it in the water the 29 or 31 footers are incredible boats.

I’ll keep you posted on the plans as they develop and the trip results as they happen.

Thanks again for the input.

Yale