PDA

View Full Version : Charging both sets of batteries with the engine

Import Manager
04-28-2004, 06:00 PM
#0, New ? Charging both sets of batteries with the engine
Posted by Saltwaters on Dec-18-02 at 06:49 PM

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-02 AT 05:49 PM (PST)

Edit: I replaced the unit with a new one from Orange Engine. This is designed for continuous duty so it should be the correct one.
What about the two small leads? Where do they go? We have a black wire going to ground. We had a wire on the other lead but my bro removed it. I'm not sure where it went.

After installation and with the engine running, the amp gauge indicated the engine bank was at 14.4 volts. The house bank at 13.5. Does this indicate the engine bank is being charged but the house bank was not? (Prestart numbers were: Engine bank, 13.5 House bank 12.5)

We also checked the leads for the 110v charger. The ground for the house bank had a loose connection. Fixed this. All connections to both banks had corrosion build up. I'll be fixing this up soon.

Thanks again

Bill

Now that our Yanmar repower job is complete, we don't think the engine's alternator is not charging the 'house' batteries.

We used the entire Yanmar electrical harness.

Don installs a device of some sort to allow the alternator charge both sets of batteries.Is this located in the engine room or behind the electrical panel?

Anyone have some knowledge on this subject?

Thanks

Bill on Tunacious

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Charging both sets of batteries with the engine
Posted by Hijole on Dec-18-02 at 11:09 PM
In response to message #0

Good Question.
There is a solinoid installed behind the electrical box. Mine (26 Billfisher) is inside the bunk area. Remove the 4 screws and you will see the solinoid. Don sells it for about $18. It is not just any solinoid. It is designed just for this purpose.
After 5 years on my batteries I called Don to order new ones. He wouldn't sell me a battery until he was sure it was not the solinoid. After I installed it and a quick charge that was my problem.
good luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Charging both sets of batteries with the engine
Posted by NoSlack on Dec-19-02 at 05:25 PM

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-02 AT 08:57 AM (PST)

Edit: The white wire goes to the key switch or a terminal that is hot when the key is on. You must have lost this connection when you removed the Volvo instrument cluster.
On my 23' the solenoid connects my house battery to my engine batteries when the key is in the on position. The solenoid is not energizes when the key is in the off, glow plug or start position.

Mike

If I can be of any help drop me an e-mail. Starting Saturday I will be hanging around the house for the next 10 days. I am an Electrician by trade and a Blackman owner by choice.
http://bocaboard.com/data/noslack/IM000194.JPG

#3, RE: Charging both sets of batteries with the engine
Posted by moo fish on Dec-20-02 at 05:57 PM
In response to message #2

No Slack:
Ah soooo--the solenoid. I kept looking at it and never could figure it out. Is your house bank a single battery? And the No. 1 starter battery is next to No. 2? I am tempted to attack the wire rat's nest that is my electrical system...a maze of wires, crimps, and terminals. But it seems to work. The 23's should have an open house to compare notes and tricks...rt on the Moo Fish

#5, RE: Charging both sets of batteries with the engine
Posted by NoSlack on Dec-20-02 at 09:13 PM
In response to message #3

Sounds like we have the same set up with one house battery and a pair for the engine.
If you get down to the Spring Valley/La Mesa area you're more than welcome to stop by and talk boats.

Mike

#4, RE: Charging both sets of batteries with the engine
Posted by Saltwaters on Dec-20-02 at 06:48 PM

Thanks to both of you. I will trace the wires down tomorrow. At least I know where it's located now.
Of course, Don and the whole crew is on vacation now. Will have to wait two weeks for them to return.

No big deal.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

Bill on Tunacious