PDA

View Full Version : List to Starboard

Casey
12-06-2004, 02:32 PM
I have a 26' Fly Bridge with a list to starboard. I've upgraded the original gas motor with a KAD43 and made a few other minor changes here and there but nothing that would cause a list (I think). The boat currently lists about 1 inch on the starboard side. As best I can remember it has always had a list but I think it may be getting worse. The boat is an '89 and I've had it since '98. It's in the water 6 to 8 months a year with fresh bottom paint each year. Any Ideas???

Time Out
12-06-2004, 03:34 PM
When we repowered we found 150lbs of lead on the port side under the muffler after removing the lead we found we listed a little maybe a 1/2 inch when the bait tank is full we sit flat. I noticed it after changing the batterys I think the new ones weigt more. are you an inboard or outdrive??

Casey
12-06-2004, 05:19 PM
I have a 290 outdrive. My KAD43 may sit higher than others because of the repower from gas. The engine mounts have 1 1/2 blocks between them and the stringers, maybe this is normal, I don't know. I do know that I had to do some relief work on the enginge cover insulation to clear some of the engine parts after the repower. I'm not sure but the old 350/280 OD combinbation may have required a slightly higher cutout for outdrive than the new setup. Anyway as much as I hate to maybe lead is the answer. The boat performs fine the way it is it just bothers me that there is a list

NoSlack
12-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Were is your fresh water tank located? On the 23' the batteries are on the port side and the water tank is starboard. If I keep the water 1/2 full it give me a good balance.

Move some of the heavy items like tools to the port side and play with the water tank and you might level her out without adding and extra balast.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
12-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Some 26s have a battery charger in the starboard side storage; some are quite heavy. I have an 87 and mine lists about an inch lower on the port side. I think it's just a matter of rearranging you stored gear.

Casey
12-06-2004, 07:32 PM
My water tank is centered forward of the fish hold, I know this because I had to remove it to repair a cracked weld in the tank. My battery charger is starboard but it is not very heavy. Currently aft most of my weight is on the port side IE: batteries, small anchor with chain, lots of line, etc, starboard there is another small anchor, fillet table light BBQ, etc. The starboard side has the typical stuff plus a porcelin marine head and holding tank in the fish hold. I keep looking for something obvious but the weight seems to be equally devided.

Time Out
12-06-2004, 09:12 PM
If you decide to us lead I have two bars I think 50lbs each you are welcome to them. Let me know

To The Limit
12-07-2004, 07:19 AM
For whatever it is worth I have an '87 Billfisher with a 41A and 280 outdrive. My water tank is on the starboard side with batteries and hot water heater on the port. I believe that the weight of my "stuff" is more on the port and it still leans to the starboard. It takes about 75 pounds on the port to level it out.

Casey
12-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the offer, I'll check what I have, I think I have at least one bar. I never thought I would be adding lead that didn't go on a line somewhere.

yellowfin1
12-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Good morning Casey,

I have an 84 Billfisher with the AD-41 and 290 OD. My repower also required lowering trhe OD and putting the engine on some starboard (material) blocks. Anyways you might contact Steve and ask him. Could be that the combined weight of the cabinets, sink, alcohol stove (or microwave) battery charger, head, and switchboard being on the starboard side contributes to the list?? Good luck.

Scott

DOGHOUSE26
12-07-2004, 08:05 AM
I think the porcelin throne might be the culprit !

chrisc
12-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Casey,

With respect, you probably want the boat listing to starboard at the dock. I have mine set up this way on purpose so that when underway the boat is level (people store their tackle under the port side galley table, as well as themselves in the seats).

Re: adding extra dead weight - it would be a shame to have to do it. My 26' Yanmar inboard has something like 180 lbs. of lead at the transom to provide proper trim when the fuel tank is low, and I choke every time I think about the fuel I waste because of it. /chris

Casey
12-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Casey,

With respect, you probably want the boat listing to starboard at the dock. I have mine set up this way on purpose so that when underway the boat is level (people store their tackle under the port side galley table, as well as themselves in the seats).

Re: adding extra dead weight - it would be a shame to have to do it. My 26' Yanmar inboard has something like 180 lbs. of lead at the transom to provide proper trim when the fuel tank is low, and I choke every time I think about the fuel I waste because of it. /chris
Good point! One of my boating buddies is "MUCHO GRANDE" and tends to park himself at the table untill we get where we are going. I'm sure this whole thing is not serious it's just bugged me for years.