PDA

View Full Version : 12/4 1 more rockfish ID

NoSlack
12-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Fished for a few hours Saturday off Del Mar until the cold wind drove me off the water. Something about a 40 degree breeze blowing in one ear and out the other gives me a headache that won't quit.

The best I can tell this one is a Squarespot Rockfish. If you think differently let me know. It looks very much like the Bank Rockfish with dark blotches on the back.

Caught in 280' on squid

Squarespot Rockfish
http://www.bocaboard.com/data/511/Squarespot.JPG

DOGHOUSE26
12-06-2004, 07:00 PM
;) How do you get such a clear picture of that monster on your driveway and that's the same concrete texture I want on mine, who did it for you?

NoSlack
12-06-2004, 09:01 PM
That's no monster fish in the driveway. The Squarespots rarely get over 12".

That perfect finish on the concrete is really the the grain in my engine hatch pad.

Mike

GoFishGo
12-06-2004, 10:52 PM
I believe that is an Olive Rockfish or more commonly known as a "Johnny Bass or Sugar Bass".

(I forgot how to post pictures)

Family:
Scorpaenidae (Scorpionfishes)
Genus and Species:
Sebastes serranoides
Description:
The body of the olive rockfish is elongate and compressed. The upper profile of the head is almost straight, and the snout is long and pointed. The lower jaw is projecting. The olive rockfish is dark olive brown on the back, often with some light areas under the dorsal fin. The sides are a lighter olive green, and the fins are yellow. This species is very similar in appearance to the yellowtail rockfish. The olive rockfish always has nine soft rays in the anal fin; the yellowtail rockfish usually has eight.
Range:
This species occurs from the San Benito Islands, Baja California, to Redding Rock, California. Olive rockfish are generally caught in nearshore waters. They are found primarily around reefs and kelp beds in water less than 150 feet deep, but have been caught as deep as 480 feet.
Natural History:
The diet of olive rockfish consists primarily of fishes; however, crab, shrimp, and squid also are consumed in smaller quantities. Olive rockfish mature and spawn for the first time when they are 3 or 4 years old. As is true among the other rockfish, fertilization is internal and live young are born. The main spawning season is from December through March and a large female may spawn as many as 500,000 young during the season.
Fishing Information:
Olive rockfish may be found in almost every kelp bed along the mainland shore south of Monterey Bay, California. The best rig employs a single hook on monofilament nylon and calls for a lively anchovy. The bait should be cast directly into the floating fronds of kelp and no sinker should be used. If there are any olive rockfish around they will hit the bait right at the surface, usually so hard that they set the hook themselves. The ensuing battle is excellent in every respect and the larger the fish the better the fight. Olive rockfish will also strike a streamer fly or a properly worked metal lure or small wooden plug.
Other Common Names:
johnny bass, johnathans.
Largest Recorded:
24 inches; no weight recorded.
Habitat:
Shallow Rocky Environment

NoSlack
12-07-2004, 07:01 AM
I looked at that one but didn't think it was an Olive for 2 reasons. The olive has light spot on the back and I was fishing almost 300'.

EDIT:Here is the DFG picture and a photo I found on the internet of a Oliverockfish.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/rockfish/images/olive.jpg http://www.bajadestinations.com/fishid/rockfisholive/BuleraBass.jpg

The photo I took
http://www.bocapix.com/data/510/medium/4Squarespot.JPG

yellowfin1
12-07-2004, 07:42 AM
Cute little bugga. How's it taste? Wait a minute... You mean that you actually went fishing and didn't score any points??? Maybe some of us do stand a chance this year in the highliner. I hope to ish SundayWEAX permitting.

Scott

DOGHOUSE26
12-07-2004, 08:02 AM
No kidding Mike? :p

Since they are collected specimens you wouldn't fool us if they were in a jar!

NoSlack
12-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Scott

Sunday will be my day on the pond as well this week. As of now the plan will be to collect a few more photos for the prodject and scout out some new rocks for when the bigger Reds move in.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
12-08-2004, 02:09 PM
On the Buddy Board somebody posted last week due west Pt Loma 310'; he had some nice reds ! Sunday weather and work permitting will be my day to try.

Hijole - have you been catching reds off yours spots west of the islands?

yellowfin1
12-10-2004, 07:47 AM
If you guys get out there I might see you and compare notes. My game plan was to fish the rockfish and listen to te game on the radio but, there is a slight chance I might be fishing yellows and albies at 60+ miles. I'll try to give you guys a shout on ch 69 on Sunday if I stay local.

Good luck,

Scott

DOGHOUSE26
12-10-2004, 01:14 PM
60+ from Ensenada or Colnett? :eek:

Scott, I just read the BITE ME report, sounds good but far. Decent weather this weekend if the swell comes down a bit and the wind stays off it could be a fantastic trip; a little far for me this time of year.

Good Luck if you go.

hijole
12-12-2004, 09:24 AM
I was going out yesterday but after the staff party Friday night..... well you know.
In the morning I could see the tops of the islands for several minitues then disapear in the fog. By noon the blanket of fog covered all of the ocean from TJ to the point. I'm actually glad I didn't go out. I could hear the guys on the radio that got caught inside and it took them for ever to get back.
I also heard the fishing was very good.
I'm going to AZ this weekend but will be out there the following week. I'll send a buZ.