PDA

View Full Version : Rock Fish report 12-12-04

yellowfin1
12-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Good morning BOCA folks,

Yesterday was a cool day on the water. Fished with Mr. Dan Fuller and learned alot about SOCAL fishing. Good guy who super optimistic and has bagged lotsa big fish. It is Good to see a fellow Blackman "Dog House" out there and to talk to No Slack on the radio. Hope you guys scored some fish too. Started at the nine in 325' for a few nice rockfish including 2 bocaccio (to 3 lbs) and a nice red (vermillion). Also caught there was an assortment of rockfish (green spot, square spot, etc.) In the process of attempting the get more of the reds to bite, Dan spots a shark which swims up to the boat and says "catch me, catch me". Fortunately it was a mako, so I did what it asked and caught it. It was probably a 30lb fish and it did not fight very good until a sea lion appeared and started chasing the shark. It was really cool to see a sea lion chasing a Mako around. Caught it on video and will bring it to the next BOCA BBQ. Fished the rest of the day for a few sculpin and nothing else. Weather was cool with a brisk cold breeze in the AM which died out about 10:00 AM and allowed for a flat beatiful day on the water. Will post the pics as soon as I figure out how to transfer the video to still images and transport them into a JPEG file. Oh yeah 65 points toward the 2005 highliner as soon as I can get the pics (yehaa!!).

Yale, please provide your recipe for the deep fried fish you made at the BBQ. What are te secret seasonings?

Scott

NoSlack
12-13-2004, 04:22 PM
You better make that photo editing project a top priority. I hear the Web Master is a stickler for the rules and will give you a big fat zero if he doesn't see proof within 30 days.

How was the bite down your way once the wind laid down? As soon as the day turned nice, the fishing got a lot slower up off Torry Pines.

Mike

yellowfin1
12-14-2004, 07:56 AM
I've had this Sony video camera for three years and haven't ever used it to record stills. All in all it was very easy to figure out and fortunately windows XP already comes with the compatible software to talk to the Sony cameras. Still the resolution could be better. I'll continue to pay with it. The coolest part of the trip was getting footage of the sea lion chasing the Mako around the boat.

The bite was exactly the same for us. As soon as the wind died down the fishing did too. The wind dying also coincided with a tide shift, so that could have been a big factor?

Later,

Scott

Professor
12-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Fish fillets (easier to cook and eat if no longer than about 5”. Rock cod type fish are the best but almost any fish will do.)

Flour with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. (I’ve never done it the same way two times so the amounts are up to you. Dry mustard, Cumin and ground clove are also possibilities to add.)

Flour and beer mixed onto a batter. (Not the flour above and the mixture should be slightly thinner than pancake batter. The beer can be that cheap stuff that your brother in law brought over.)

Lots of oil at a temperature between 365º and 385 º. (This is critical so get a thermometer and check the oil continuously. To cold and the fish is greasy and to hot you will burn the outside and the inside will be rare. Lots of oil and not overloading with fish makes this easier. Since I don’t keep the oil I use the cheapest oil Costco has. It’s also good for frying turkeys.)

When the oil is at the correct temperature your ready to start cooking fish.

Roll the fish in the dry flour mixture; dip it in the batter and then into the oil. Make sure its not sticking to the bottom or to another piece of fish. When the fish floats in the oil I give it about another 30 seconds and then remove the fillet and drain off the oil.

Fish taco sauce

5 Parts mayonnaise
1 part plain yogurt
1 part water

Enjoy! :D

yellowfin1
12-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Yale,

Thanks very much. I can't wait to give it a shot tomorrow night.

Scott

hijole
12-15-2004, 10:46 PM
OK Patron with that formula it's now time to go fishing. Too bad for those who haven't made the BBQ. The lobster was great deap fried. Next time you should try it with batter.