PDA

View Full Version : Fuel to Buy

Import Manager
04-28-2004, 06:20 PM
#0, Fuel to Buy
Posted by Nomad on Jun-22-02 at 06:27 AM

As this is my first diesel, guess I better get a quick education. Is there that much of a difference in the fuel. Why is the red dye fuel better? Can you get this at all stations that sell diesel or only certain ones? How is the fuel at the harbor? How about mission bay. Keeping the boat in a slip and was just curious about the harbor fuel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Fuel to Buy
Posted by NoSlack on Jun-22-02 at 08:06 AM
In response to message #0

I trailer my boat so my options are a little different than yours will by.
Red Dye Diesel is an off road fuel and does not have road tax on it(about 28 cent). You still pay California sales tax and this can be misleading when asking the price at the dock.

Don has cut a deal with Harbor Island fuel dock and the price he quotes you will not have the sales tax added. Everywhere else I have purchased fuel the price at the pump is the total price just like when you fill up your car at a service station.

Where to buy:

If I'm in San Diego Bay I buy from Harbor Island to take advantage of the deal Don setup. I believe Pearson's give a discount for vessel assist members a discount but I don't know how it compares to the price Don has worked out for us.

If I'm in Mission Bay I put it back on the trailer and wait until I fish out of San Diego bay or I hit one of the few truck stops that sell Red Dye. The Mission bay price is 30-40 cents higher on average than my other options. I have been burned with bad fuel from the Dana Landing fuel dock before they remodeled and have never given them a second chance to foul my tank.

A rule of thumb when I buy fuel, if the pump is pumping slow they haven't changed their filters and your better off moving on to a different station.

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Fuel to Buy
Posted by Saltwaters on Jun-26-02 at 06:41 PM
In response to message #0

One thing you need to know about harbor fuel is the low cetane level. A lot of the fuel pumped in the harbor has a lower rating than land based stations. You might wonder why your new engine smokes at startup. Low grade fuel is the answer. I have heard of people who spent thousands of dollars trying to solve the smoke issue only to find no smoke when non-red dye fuel was run through the engine. Plan on using a cetane booster if you buy harbor fuel. I thnk we use Stanadyne.

Bill on Tunacious

#3, RE: Fuel to Buy
Posted by Nomad on Jun-26-02 at 06:58 PM
In response to message #2

Bill,
Can you gat this additive at Kragen etc...?

#4, RE: Fuel to Buy
Posted by NoSlack on Jun-26-02 at 08:08 PM
In response to message #3

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-02 AT 08:10 PM (PST)

You can pick it up localy at
Advanced Diesel Injection
3134 Main street
San Diego
232-6452

Take 5 south, exit 28th street, left on main. It will be on your left just before you reach 32nd street.

When I was looking for a bulk supplier they had Stanadyne Jr and Stanadyne(cetain boost) in 8oz bottles to 55 gallon drums.

Here is some studdy material for ya
http://www.performancedieselparts.com/additives.htm

Mike

#5, RE: Fuel to Buy
Posted by Nomad on Jun-27-02 at 06:03 AM
In response to message #4

Thanks for all your help Mike and to everyone else too. I really appreciate it!