PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Fishing

Malu Lani
12-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Is it bad for the batteries to turn the motor off on the drift with the baitank running ( low battery) Also is it better to keep the motor running to save wear on the starter.How do you guys run the boats while bottom fishing ?

Thanks Rob

Time Out
12-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Rob
We leave the motor running all the time not for the battery problem they could run the pumps all day and still start. Starting and stopping is hard on a motor so we keep it running.

Does not look like fishing this week is possable have you been out?

Russ

Malu Lani
12-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi Russ

We fished Sunday off PB for a mixed bag of bottom fish in the AM. Then we hit La Jolla kelp for steady action bonita, bass,cudas, a good day on the water.

Rob

NoSlack
12-28-2004, 07:07 PM
The only time I shut down is when I'm on a long halibut drift in shallow water. I like to keep the engine noise down in less than 30' of water and the clicker is loud enough to wake me up if the engine is off.

Most of my rockcod spots are small, so leave it running for re-positioning.

Mike

hijole
12-29-2004, 03:23 PM
I agree with Tuba and Noslack.
How many batteries do you have? Blackman normally likes to install 2 for the engine and 2 for the electonics. The bait pump should not affect the engine.

DOGHOUSE26
01-04-2005, 07:32 AM
If it's a nice day we will turn the engine off; if it's rough or windy we will leave the engine on as we relocate back to the "top of the rock" more frequently due to rapid drift.