PDA

View Full Version : Water pump priming

Import Manager
04-28-2004, 06:21 PM
#0, Water pump priming
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Aug-14-02 at 09:50 AM

Hello all,
First let me say that Charlies boat (Nomad) looks sweeeet!

Now, for my problem (maybe a problem?).

I replaced my impeller and cleaned the pump very good after determining that the impellar was completely destroyed. Upon testing it in the bay, the faceplate of the pump was extremely hot. I stopped the boat and took off the marine strainer cover to find it completely dry in there. After filling it up with saltwater and re-applying the cover, it worked fine and the faceplate was cold. I have had to do this every time I launch.

Are there any of you that keep your boat on a trailer and have to prime the water pump prior to it working? Is this a standard procedure for you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Water pump priming
Posted by NoSlack on Aug-14-02 at 12:30 PM
In response to message #0

That's a new one on me. Those pumps are self priming and should draw a suction in a few second through the outdrive and suction piping.
If the basket strainer lid or suction pipe is sucking air, then I could see the pump having trouble drawing the water up the outdrive.

I do fill my strainer with water before leaving the house so the pump dosen't run dry during start up. I do this in hopes of prolonging the life of the impeller by not running it dry, even if it's only for a few seconds. The down side to this is you might break the lid to the strainer over time, as I did a few weeks ago. The lid and basket are made of a heavy duty plastic and lasted 20 years before breaking, so I think it was a good trade off to add the water to save the pump.

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Water pump priming
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Aug-14-02 at 08:19 PM
In response to message #0

Thanks for the reply Mike,
I did rebuild the pump and did my best to get a good water-tight seal. I assume I've got a good seal because I don't see water leaking upon starting her up. But it's good to know that I shouldn't have to prime it every time. I'll investigate for water/air-tight integrity.

#3, RE: Water pump priming
Posted by Hijole on Aug-14-02 at 10:24 PM
In response to message #2

I prime mine with the same liquid soap I use to clean the boat. Or regular dish soap. You don't have to worry about water leaking back down the pipe.

#4, RE: Water pump priming
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Aug-15-02 at 08:44 AM
In response to message #3

Hijole,
Are you kidding me, don't you leave a huge trail of bubbles everywhere you go? Does it really work, or is this some sort of practical joke? It would be prteey funny to see a Blackman Billfisher making bubbles.

#5, RE: Water pump priming
Posted by Hijole on Aug-15-02 at 10:29 PM
In response to message #4

No joke. I use soap when I don't want to use greese. The greese will not desolve and it will clog small pores. When I rebuild my pump I'll put a very-very small amount of the blue greese I use for my props on the rear seal inside the pump. I do this so that the small spring doesn't rust out. I rub the soap all over the rubber impeller and the inside of the pump.
When I take the boat out of the water and just check and clean the strainer, thats when I pour a small amount of soap on the impeller side of the strainer .
You said that the face plate of the pump was hot. You will be able to use the soap bubbles coming out of the props as your indicater that water is circulating. NO JOKE.
After several hours of use your face plate will wear out. If you have deap groves on the inside of the face plate you can replace it or just turn it around and use the outside-inside.NO JOKE

#6, RE: Water pump priming
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Aug-16-02 at 08:12 AM
In response to message #5

Hijole,
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try it. Let you know if it resolved my problem.

#7, RE: Water pump priming
Posted by Hijole on Aug-16-02 at 11:26 AM
In response to message #6

I forgot to mention that most boat stores have a small wooden cone shaped dowel they use to close the small hole that is below the water pick-up at the bottom of the outdrive. They attach this dowel to the "rabbit ears" with a small string so they don't lose it.
If you don't use something in this hole, you will see water come out from there when you turn on the water and that may be a reason you may have a problem priming the pump.
I use a rubber scampi. I cut the tail and stick the small end of the scampi in the opening. This will help you get more water up the pipe to your pump.

#8, RE: Water pump priming
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Aug-16-02 at 09:04 PM
In response to message #7

Hijole,
Thanks for mentioning that. I figured that out the hard way. Now I use a wine cork.
See ya on the water.

#9, RE: Water pump priming
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Aug-19-02 at 08:01 AM
In response to message #7

Hijole,
It actually worked well. Poured a little dawn onto the impeller, and just like you said, she primed and stayed primed every time I shut her down, and I didn't leave too many bubbles all over the ocean. I was told by a mechanic to grease the impeller lightly prior to installation. In retrospect, I think the grease may have helped to actually allow the water drain back down the pipe to the outdrive. The soap is muck better. Thanks for the tip.