PDA

View Full Version : Need new windows & wind shield

Import Manager
04-28-2004, 06:23 PM
#0, Need new windows & wind shield
Posted by Reel Nasty on Mar-16-04 at 11:13 PM

I would like to replace the windows from my 87 billfisher. Also need a new windshield, (low trees). Anyone have a source or experience in these replacements?
John
"Reel Nasty"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Need new windows & wind shield
Posted by Captn_Hook on Mar-17-04 at 05:56 AM
In response to message #0

You should check with surfin scott on the Tenacious. He just got them redone from the Blackman shop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Need new windows & wind shield
Posted by SBSRF on Mar-17-04 at 06:20 AM
In response to message #1

Blackman also replaced the plexi-glass windows on the Grebe last year. It a made her a new boat. Well worth the expense.

#3, RE: Need new windows & wind shield
Posted by Wizard on Mar-17-04 at 08:06 AM
In response to message #2

I am also interested in getting the plastic windows replaced on my billfisher. Now they can put in tinted glass, right? Approximately how much does that run, if anyone knows?
Only thing that kept me from doing so already over the last couple months is Blackman's is the only place I would think would have the templates/construction already defined with a supplier. But with all that was happening with them over the last few months, I couldn't even get my boat in for an outdrive service (they weren't taking any more service work). So I assumed it wasn't possible to get something like windows redone either.

Anyone know if they are taking in this kind of work again? They ever get any of those new boats out of the yard? Things settling down for them?

Glenn
"The Reel One"

#4, RE: Need new windows & wind shield
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Mar-17-04 at 09:06 AM
In response to message #3

John/Glenn,
I had the Blackmans replace my windows on the Tenacious (84' billfisher) this past fall. The old one were just not servicable any more. Originally Steve quoted me something like $1500 to do the job. When I was ready to have it done and the Blackmans had a window of opportunity to do the job, the price was about $300 more. Shirly tells me it's because they went to a new insert formula which dousn't turn yellow or fade. When I picked up my boat at the shop, I could not believe it was the same boat. Dark tinted tempered glass really made her look like a new boat. Not to mention that now I can see out but nobody can see in. All in all I was extremely impressed and the $1800 was money well spent. If the Blackmans are not accepting this kind of work right now, you really might consider ordering the windows and doing the work yourself. Steve said it's not very hard to do. If you replace the windows, don't tell guys like RT and some of others on this site as they will roust you and say things like "I bet the new windows won't help you catch fish"! Good luck!

#5, RE: Need new windows & wind shield
Posted by Wizard on Mar-17-04 at 10:54 AM
In response to message #4

Hahah.. thanks for the info Scott. =)

#6, RE: Need new windows & wind shield
Posted by moo fish on Mar-18-04 at 07:02 AM
In response to message #5

Windows?? You guys got all the good stuff. Probably got doors, too?
Hey, any icon, token, mojo, or sacrifice to put a fish on the boat is good.....rt on the Moo Fish

#7, RE: Need new windows & wind shield
Posted by Wizard on Mar-18-04 at 08:05 AM
In response to message #6

Ya, I don't like the color of my microwave, the padding on the beds could be thicker, and thinking about adding a heater to the fresh water shower and sink system too. *grin*
Glenn

sbsrf
04-28-2004, 07:20 PM
What is this whinning about. Nothing wrong wit improving on perfection.