PDA

View Full Version : Batteries RIP

Moo Fish
01-26-2005, 06:06 AM
Bought a new Shumacher Smart Charger and there is no battery left uncharged here, trucks, tractors, and boat. According to the LED's the boat batteries will charge to 100% but fall off to 60% within an hour. The batteries are 5 years old, Stowaway's from Sams Club. Going to replace the engine side with a pair of 31c's and a 31 deep cycle on the house side. What are you using to spin the 40's?

Still chasing 14 volts from the alternator. Whacked the ammeter and made a direct connection to the solenoid. The alternator is buried under the heat exchanger (40A). Cannot see or feel anything. Do you have to pull the heat exchanger to pull the alternator? I want to eliminate the RF filter but this requires changing out the leads on the alternator.

Sam's Club has 8D's for $95 but too big for the 23footer......RT

noquestion25
01-27-2005, 04:40 PM
RT, try a 4D I have one in my 23, Have not had a problem with it in 4 years. I run a group 27 for the starting and the 4D for the house. Im sure you could find a creative place to put it. If you want some pics I could post. Or send my a private e-mail and we could talk.

Josh "No Question"

NoSlack
01-28-2005, 06:48 PM
I run a pair of group 27, 900 CCA batteries for the engine and a group 27 deep cycle for the house load.

I have removed the alternator without removing the heat exchanger, but its not easy. I remove the mounting bolts first, then swing it over by the oil filter so I can see the electrical connection. I can't remember if you can pull it out of the hole by the oil filter or if I passed it in front of the engine and pulled it up by the fuel filter.

It's almost the same amount of time to remove the heat exchanger first, then you have a good line of side on the alternator. Not forget to cover it with a plastic bag before pulling the exchanger. You will dump a lot of coolant on it if it's not protected.

Mike