PDA

View Full Version : Raw water pump

noquestion25
01-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Has anyone had problems with there raw water pump leaking from the rear part of the pump. Mine is leaking, and I was wondering if there is a cheaper fix then the $115.00 re-build kit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. O-Yea it is on a KAD 32, I think it uses the same pump as the 41 series.

Thank Josh (No Question)

NoSlack
01-27-2005, 05:31 PM
The photo show everything that comes in the kit for my 40. The item in the bottom center between the bearing is the seal. The seal is positioned between the impeller and the bearing in the pump housing. If water is leaking out the back, the seal is bad and letting salt water get to the bearings. I would pull it apart and replace the seal and bearings at a minimum.

Mike

http://bocaboard.com/data/noslack/pumpkit.JPG

Moo Fish
01-27-2005, 06:21 PM
And.....check the old impeller. If it is ragged on the edges, time to replace the cam plate in the pump. Heck, replace it anyway.

(My back spasms just thinking about 4D's)

saltwaters
01-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Mike,

Do you have any tips for replacing the impeller? I want to check both of mine but one needs to be replaced as the motor got a little hot last weekend.

Thanks

Bill

NoSlack
01-27-2005, 09:31 PM
On my boat the pump face is to close to the bulkhead to remove the impeller. I have to remove the pump from the engine, them pull the impeller.

This is no small job. Remove the clamps that hold the tubes in the bottom of the basket strainer, then remove the basket from the pump. The clamp that hold the hard pipe in the bottom of the pump need to be removed so you can drop the pipe out of the bottom of the pump. The pump is only held to the engine with 2 bolt. Once you remove them, you can take the pump to a vise and preform the work on it there.

If you have the room, pry out the old one with 2 screwdrivers. Soaping up the new one before you install it will help it slide in a little easier.

Mike

Wizard
01-28-2005, 10:13 AM
As Mike knows, mine is way to close to the bulkhead to do anything unless you remove the pump also.

Doubt this could happen twice, but inspect the strainer basket assembly well while it is apart and don't knock it around or overtighten the bolts during reassembly. The first trip after replacing my impeller last season, the entire lid of the strainer cracked all the way around (better pressure from new impeller on old strainer assembly?), and blew off above the threads. Darn near tried to sink me as I pumped the ocean into my bilge.