PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Ground

Moo Fish
02-01-2005, 05:26 AM
What is this wire(s) that run from the VHF antenna base to the engine block. 10 ga multi-strand house wire (yellow to red to yellow again with the plenty of crimps and wire nuts). OK, a ground wire but does it make a difference in radio performance or what?

And, can an RF ground from the radar be run to a negative battery terminal or does the RF ground have to run directly to the engine block? The block looks like a porcupine with five ground wires bolted here and there.

Thumbs up on this new Shumacher battery charger.......RT

NoSlack
02-01-2005, 11:41 AM
I've never heard of grounding the base of the antenna. The element is isolated from the base so I can't see the need for the ground.

Mike

Moo Fish
02-03-2005, 05:40 AM
Snip, snip another wire bites the dust. I never heard of trailer wires used for nav lights or speaker wire used for deck lights but this is what I got. We should compare notes on wiring horror stories.

Had to resort to West Marine for replacement boat wire---no bargain there. www.bestboatwire.com has great prices on wire, busses, etc. if you are doing a major rework. But is the material Chinese countfeits??

RT

NoSlack
02-03-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm in good shape on wiring. I'm an electrician by trade, and the previous owner was an electrical contractor. If you want to talk plumbing, that was a mess when I bought the boat.

Mike