PDA

View Full Version : TAMD40A Raw Water Pump?

saltwaters
02-06-2005, 10:07 AM
I removed one of the raw water pumps yesterday to replace the impeller. The lower tube came out when I pulled the pump. I cleaned the tube and pump as good as I could before reassembing it. I assembled the parts dry.

After reinstalling, a small amount of water was leaking from this connection.

Should I have put some grease on the o-ring to prevent it from leaking?

Also, I used a little silicon based grease in the pump body to help install the impeller. Was this a good or bad idea?

Finally, I forgot to install the small plug that came with the kit. I assume this was supposed to keep water from going into the shaft. Should I disassemble the pump and put this in?

Thanks

Bill

NoSlack
02-06-2005, 11:49 AM
I think the little plug that goes in the front of the impeller is more of a spacer than a water seal. Should be easy to pop into place by removing the front cover.

Some times the o-ring on the pipe gets squished or develops a flat side and will need to be replaced. There should be a clamp a foot below the pump that hold the pipe in place. Loosen the clamp and see if that lets the pipe and o-ring center up in the hole. Also the pump mounting holes are slotted and may not holding the pump in the same position as before.

Using a lube is always a good idea when installing the impeller. something as simple as dish soap will get the job done.

Mike

saltwaters
02-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Mike, Thanks for the advice. I think I'll order a few seals and try again this weekend. The top pipe has a metal bracket attached to the pump boady that holds it in place. The lower pipe has a SS cusion clamp holding it in place. As long as it holds it in place I guess it's okay.

Bill