PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the DSC radio?

Old Blue
03-01-2005, 08:30 PM
After redeeming my christmas gift for a radio, I wound up with an Icom 502. I only had a vague idea of what the DSC function was all about. After some good old fashioned reading the instructions I now have a slightly less vague idea of how the DSC functions work :confused: and what can and cannot be done.

My main motivation to get the DSC was for safety but getting a cool new radio didn't hurt either. One thing is clear, I will need some buddies with DSC radios in order to be able to use some of the features. I was surpised to find out that I could send a position report without having my radio talking to my gps.Anyone want to swap MMSI addresses?

I can't wait to get it installed. I am really interested to see how the audio quality is at the higher volumes when running. I bought a shakespeare 5225XP to hook up to it so i'm looking forward to some good solid radio com. Since I only have spots for two antennaes I guess its time to retire my old (don't laugh) furuno loran that I have left in for backup nav.