PDA

View Full Version : Here you go Moofish

Old Blue
03-10-2005, 01:22 PM
I can smell the french fries now!! Richard, I think you should do this. It's low tech and completely doable. Just need a source of used vegetable oil. Sounds like most resaurants would be happy to give it to you for free.

http://www.makebiodiesel.com/home/home.asp

Brian on Old Blue out.

Moo Fish
03-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Maybe if the in-laws had a fish and chip joint. The methanol and lye makes a nasty compound--poisonous in a variety of ways. I was thinking in terms of a tank,now and then, to keep the fuel system polished. Who knows??? Maybe it's all snake oil.....

When's the BBQ???

RT

DOGHOUSE26
03-10-2005, 08:44 PM
There's a station in San Diego that sells that stuff for more than regular diesel. However it says "Not For Volkswagons".

Old Blue
03-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Too many credible folks have looked into it. I think it was the Stanadyne folks who did the lubricity testing that showed 2% mix in regular fuel restored lube properties of the fuel. Sounds like running 100% is fine in addition to making the motor run smoother etc. It sounds like it does keep the tank etc nice and clean but I gotta admit, it was the 60 - 70 cents a gallon that was catching my eye :) . I didn't know that the glycerin byproduct was biodegradable. My boss said that the trash collection trucks in his community are running this stuff at 20%. Don't know whats up with the volkswagon diesels, maybe they have sensors or electronics that its unfriendly towards.

I did this at work a few years back with an algal DHA rich oil and the process is simple and straight forward, wish I would of known I could have put the results in my tank.

Brian on Old Blue out.

hijole
03-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Heck with the French fries.
Noslack and El Patron can deep fry the next fish and lobster tacos in it. We can siphon off the juice from J-dock.

Old Blue
03-12-2005, 12:13 AM
I'll bring the lye, who's bringing the methyl alcohol?