PDA

View Full Version : 3/13 It's T time

NoSlack
03-13-2005, 04:27 PM
What a day on the water. T-sharks, T-sharks and more T-sharks.

If you want to pull on one of these beast, get your self out to the weather buoy off La Jolla.

Once again I was out solo and hooked a monster at 9:15 on a Mackerel in a pink skirt, trolled at 3 knot, 50 feet down. I spent the first hour pulling 18 pounds of drag on the 2 speed and managed to get my top shot back 4 or 5 times. I knew I was in for a long haul and called for backup from the guys in the skiff that had been shadowing me.

I think they were just waiting for the call as they watched me get my clock cleaned for the first hour. As soon as Mark got buckled in to the harness we went to work on the fish. Mark was on the fish for another 30 minute before we touched the leader for the first time. I took a good arm wrap on the leader and pulled as hard as I could, only to have her kick in the after burners and make another blistering run.

15 minutes later we were at leader again and we both grabbed on and pulled as hard as we could. This fish was just hanging under the boat giving it her all. After a couple of minutes off tug a war, a split ring failed and she swam off.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mike

My helper Mark at the hour and a half mark.
http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/Mark_on_the_T.jpg

Whats left of my bait rig
http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/4T_rig.JPG

Scott's T-shark
http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/Tenacious_T-Shark.jpg

Phill's T-shark
http://www.bocaboard.com/data/noslack/Knot_Now_T-Shark.jpg

DOGHOUSE26
03-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Way to go guys, awesome day! All I hear is CHA-CHING on the BOCA Board! I tried halfheartedly Saturday for zip on the Tsharks; I'll have to hit it during the week. Let me know how they taste, I haven't had tshark in 20 years. Those pics are suitable for framing, great job Mike! :)

Time Out
03-13-2005, 06:33 PM
BBQ 10 steaks Phill was so kind to give me as good as swordfish I think

Jeff I will try to get off Wednesday and try it again we hooked up two and lost them both.

Russ

NoSlack
03-13-2005, 06:50 PM
I don't think it matters how you fish them, just get in the right area.

Scott did his on soaking a deen on 30 or 40 pound line. Phill got his trolling a rapala and mine came of a mac trolled deep.

Take some heavy gear incase you run into a beast like I did. My arms are so sore I'm popping "Midol" like jelly beans and sucking my beer through a straw.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
03-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Life should be so rough! :D

yellowfin1
03-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Mr. "T" makes a showing,

Mike's pictures tell the story. Great photos Mike. Thanks again. Now for my version. Planned to have a leisurely day drifting for halibut with Ryan (my 7yr old). As we left the bait dock we had already talked to Phil (Knot Now) and Mike (No Slack). Then after departing the bait dock we see two more Billfishers also departing. Knew it was gonna be a good day. The halibut were not biting and Ryan and I just heard Mike on the radio say he's hooked up to a big one. Thirty minutes later he's on the radio again but, this time he's really breathing hard. One hour later sounds like he's got some help onboard. I also hear a couple other guys talking about hooking up with a jig while yo-yoing for squid. OK, We got to get out there. Off we go. On the way out Mike reports that he leadered the fish and did a release on an estimated 275lb fish! I think I hear Phil say that he's got his onboard. Sounds like everyone on the water has got one by now, except yours truly. Ryan catches a mackerel on a chrome kicker jig and we've got some great sardines. Mike rendezvuoxs with us and passes us a two speed outfit and a big leader. That guy is classy! Anyways the whole time I heading toward the spot I'm worried that on top of getting that huge T-shark now he's (Mike)going to go drift the beach and get a 40lb halibut. We drift some baits on the 25lb outfit w/200lb mono leader and the 2 speed with the steel leader and Mackie. After about 30 minutes Ryan is getting restless so I figure we'll troll around a little with the Magnum rapalas. Reel in the 2 speed and start reeling in the 25lb outfit when bam!!! I never hooked a thresher before and I thought I hooked a nuclear submarine. I was a little worried about getting spooled but after a minute or two the fish turned and we got some line back. Got the fish to the boat in about 25 minutes but, it was really green. I planned to snap a photo and cut it loose but I could not get the camera to work. The fish got a second wind and swam for China. Twenty more minutes and it was at the boat again. This time it was really looking tired but still kept pulling hard until it finally kind of died. Since she was dead we threw a gaff into it and hoisted her onboard. High fives with Ryan and we were done for the day. Thanks to Mike for the #s and the photo of the shark as well as the 2 speed and gear. I still have your gloves Mike. Those steaks sure were good on the barbie tonight. BTW Phil's fish was big but, I'll let him tell his story.

Later,

Scott

saltwaters
03-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Congratulations on the fish. I was on the boat Saturday listening to the action. I was trying to talk myslef into coming down on Sunday and fishing but we already had plans to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday so it's no go.

I wish I could have been there.

Bill

To The Limit
03-14-2005, 07:27 AM
Nice going Phil, Scott and Mike. Sounds like these guys were pulling harder than a marlin. Hope they stick around for a couple more weeks until I get my new ride to San Diego.

KingFish
03-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Nice catch guys, looks like Friday will be are turn to go pull on one or three :D
Mike(NO Slack) or anyone, I'm not sure where the weather buoy is off La Jolla would you share numbers or a land mark I could go off of? We named are boat "Floating-Beer-Keg" so if anyone's on the water Friday give us a call will see if we can help ya get bit..

Thanks Guys

Mark

NoSlack
03-16-2005, 07:27 PM
It's in the area of 3250 and 11721. There is a tall skinny bouy in the area with a small yellow ball bouy a half mile further north. I hooked up near the small bouy to the north and ended the fight 1 1/2 miles south west of the weather bouy.

Just look for the birds, they will help you locate were the bait schooled up.
Once you find the bait balled up, start fishing.

Mike

Wizard
03-16-2005, 08:29 PM
People that went out today got skunked. Hope the run wasn't that short. And big swells this weekend I hear? Hmmmm.... Nothing like being in the right place at the right time.

I've never pulled on a T-shark. Sounds like it was challenging.

DOGHOUSE26
03-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Also look for bait ball on your meter from the surface down to 100-150 feet; the threshers generally are not far from them. Today's action @ 48/21; if you have a chartplotter and have a way of marking the baitballs on your plotter. mark them and then troll from baitball to baitball to baitball and intercept them sooner. Good Luck

yellowfin1
03-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Floating beer keg??? It is original. Maybe you could attach a tap to the radar arch? Maybe you could replace the bait tank with a real keg. The possibilities are endless. I like it! Taste great!!! Less filling??? Head for the mountains, hopefully you'll never get skunky, what's your boat's born on date? etc, etc. Good luck on the Threshers. I got mine Sunday within a mile of the buoy Mike referred to. I just sat on the area where the birds were diving and drifted a sardine.

Sorry, I could not resist.

Scott