PDA

View Full Version : 4/1 Lingcod opener

NoSlack
04-01-2005, 05:15 PM
We worked all my hot spots off La Jolla between 180' and 300' for 2 short lings. That place was infested with lings the past 2 years, now you're lucky to catch a short.

WE did manage to fill the cooler with a great assortment of rockfish as we worked from one way point to another. We has 8 different species including a new one for my list. Bocaccio, Greenspoted, Starry, Bank, Flag, Squarespot, Copper and on the very last rock on my list we finally found the reds. We pulled a dozen Vermilion off a small little rock we passed in 185' on our way back in.

The water off La Jolla and on out to the weather buoy was dirty, cooler and totally lifeless today.

Mike

yellowfin1
04-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Mike,
Sorry for the late response. After We saw you in the channel, we dicided to go to LJ kelp anyways. The water south of the point was definitely cold/dirty but, as we neared the PT, the water warmed up 1.5 degrees tp 62+ and actually got clean green. There was a strong current pushing downhill and tons of baitfish (sardines?) Unfortunately Ryan and I soaked sardines for two hours with not a single strike. I think that that water can clean up fast as long as the current from that canyon is pushing that dirty stuff out of there.

Scott